Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK General Discussion Forum

baldwin4

Lab's Ear Swollen Like Water Balloon

My female lab's ear started swelling up this week. She is a outside dog in a kennel. Her ear flap is swollen like a water balloon. What can I do to cure this and what would cause it? Any advice would be helpful.

--------------------
"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln

Brian Peterson

Re: Lab's Ear Swollen Like Water Balloon

When my lab was 3, the same thing happened. I took her to the vet and it turned out it was a spider bite! They gave her some antibiotics and she was good to go.

--------------------
"I didn't come here to buy shoes"

WarrenMN

It might be a blood vessel that broke. Some times they'll break and usually then they shrink shut like heat shrink but in these cases it doesn't. If this is what it is, a vet has to slit the ear open at the break and suture it off, leaving the area to drain and heal.
WarrenMN

--------------------
I fish, therefore I am

thinker

Take her to the Vet. She is a member of your family.

baldwin4

Quote:

Take her to the Vet. She is a member of your family.

Sometimes members of my family don't want to go to the doctor

--------------------
"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln

WarrenMN

If I was right, just lancing it won't help. You have to tie off the blood vessel. Leaving it go is an invatation for infection and worse.
WarrenMN

--------------------
I fish, therefore I am

AmWatson

In dealing with livestock with the same condition, it could be 2 possibilities.
If the fluid inside the ear has a thick texture and typically a pea green color, it is an abscess. Abcesses can be lanced, irrigated, and disinfected with little to no reoccurance.
But, if the ear is full of water and blood mixture, lancing alone will not fix the problem, 9 out of 10 times. In fact, lancing can lead to an even bigger infection. The cause of the internal bleeding needs to be found and repaired.
Since this isn't a farm animal, I would have the vet take a look.

mrwalleye

My old girlfriend was a Vet Tech and 9 times out of 10 if a dog came in with that they had to tie off the blood vessel. your lucky its not the middle of summer, because they almost always came in full of maggot's also,

--------------------
NPAA # 276

Josh Holliday

this happened to my lab they said it was caused by him shaking his head due to ear infection. lanced it open and sutured it back closed has been good since.

--------------------
Wisconsin Bass federation
River Country Bassmasters

sand_pike

Quote:

this happened to my lab they said it was caused by him shaking his head due to ear infection. lanced it open and sutured it back closed has been good since.

same here, my lab has had a number of ear infections, he'd shake his head constantly. Take your dog to the vet, they will fix ya up.

--------------------
Speed Kills.......
If you want to live forever, drive a Ranger

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.