Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK General Discussion Forum

Joe the Fisher

Clam X4 TC

Anybody else buy one of these shantys this year? Are you dissappointed with it as much as me? For the cost of over $900 dont you think it should set itself up!? The poles always fall apart instead of gone in the slot where they belong and the cheap self tapping screws on the roof poles are a joke. gonna have to modify a few things i guess and only used it 3 times. If it was easy to ship back to Clam it would of already been done. O well stuck with it now. Should of bought a Frabill or an Otter!

Edited by Joe the Fisher (03/05/13 08:01 PM)

Corey Rhymer

Re: Clam X4 TC

It's Clam... doesn't surprise me...

Corey Rhymer

Bought a shack from them, went back the next day after 1 outing. Bought their Ice Armor Extreme gloves, they started leaking and then started making ice in my gloves. They were supposed to be "waterproof". Bought countless other accessories, and all went to the trash after a few weeks of use. I stay clear from that brand after all the bad experiences of the quality. Although, they do have pretty swell customer service...

Mark Bruzek

After running an otter lodge for a few years I bought a Clam Kenai last year since I started fishing solo more. Lets just say after 1 month of use I agree with you and then some. It was way more work to get and replace a new tarp than it was worth. I had already replaced the stock hardware during assembly.
Never again. Otter from here on out.
You get what you pay for.

--------------------
"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."

Izaak Walton, 1653

RyanK

Quote:

Although, they do have pretty swell customer service...

I disagree. My one experience with their CS was horrible and I'm not one of those impossible to please type of guys. I will never again purchase one of their products.

aiathompson

I've heard very few good comments about Clam houses. I have an Otter Cabin II (1998) and it's been like a Timex watch, it just keeps on ticking. Unfortunately that doesn't bode well for me since the wife keeps asking why I think I need a new Otter Pro XT900 Lodge. Thought about asking why she needs a new pair of shoes, been then thought I'd be sleeping in the Otter.

I can't say enough good things about my Otter.

--------------------
Steve

Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend.

RyanK

Quote:

Quote:

Although, they do have pretty swell customer service...

I disagree. My one experience with their CS was horrible and I'm not one of those impossible to please type of guys. I will never again purchase one of their products.

For the record, I take back what I said about Clams CS. I got home today and had a package waiting for me with replacements for some defective equipment. They never responded via email to my warranty claim so I figured they blew me off. I guess they didn't!

Bigfife

Quote:

Anybody else buy one of these shantys this year? Are you dissappointed with it as much as me? For the cost of over $900 dont you think it should set itself up!? The poles always fall apart instead of gone in the slot where they belong and the cheap self tapping screws on the roof poles are a joke. gonna have to modify a few things i guess and only used it 3 times. If it was easy to ship back to Clam it would of already been done. O well stuck with it now. Should of bought a Frabill or an Otter!

Joe,
It won't help you with you're problems, but the other brands have the same issues. Self-tapping screws work their way out, screws fall out of the seat, canvas and covers aren't as good as they used to be.

Its frustrating to see all of these shortfalls with the prices these companies charge.

--------------------
Team Fife Fishing
NPAA #916

Burr

Not what I expected to hear about the Clam. I have had an X2 for several years now - it's been completely problem free. It's been used a lot.

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.