Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK Ice Fishing Forum

tripjorgen

Mustache jig from Trigger X

Wondering what kind of jigs the IDO guys were using with the mustache jig?

--------------------
1980 Yamaha exciter(hey it works), Otter 1200 cabin, 9"Jiffy Mo 30, Marcum LX-5, Aqua-vu scout

James HolstAdministrator

Re: Mustache jig from Trigger X

I was using the largest size Pug Bug Jig (1/16th Oz.) in Glow Red.

Pug Bug Jig

I think Joel was using a pre-rigged Waxtail in red... but honestly it is hard to pay attention to what your fishing buddy is doing when you're catching big crappie hand over fist.

1387916929_pug-bug-glow-red.jpg

Joel NelsonAdministrator

James is right on, Glow Red Waxtail jig in 1/32oz. In testing last year, this was my favorite for most crappie situations, shallow and deep. I experimented in tipping it with a euro or two, but it didn't seem to trigger them any more than just the plastic. Make sure to snug your knot directly perpendicular to the hook shank and ensure that this bait hangs horizontally. This has been important in the testing I've done. Good luck!

Joel

1387920784_wtj1100glrd.png

--------------------
Joel Nelson - Ice Pro Staff
joel.nelson@in-depthoutdoors.com

scmelik

Quote:

James is right on, Glow Red Waxtail jig in 1/32oz. In testing last year, this was my favorite for most crappie situations, shallow and deep. I experimented in tipping it with a euro or two, but it didn't seem to trigger them any more than just the plastic. Make sure to snug your knot directly perpendicular to the hook shank and ensure that this bait hangs horizontally. This has been important in the testing I've done. Good luck!

Joel

I was out catching those same crappies you guys were catching in the episode and this bait was the ticket. The bigger 1.5" wax tail and almost any jig head I put it on out fished the smaller wax tail at least 2-1.

--------------------
Scott Cmelik

Joel NelsonAdministrator

Quote:

Quote:

Joel

I was out catching those same crappies you guys were catching in the episode and this bait was the ticket. The bigger 1.5" wax tail and almost any jig head I put it on out fished the smaller wax tail at least 2-1.

Funny you say that. For crappies, I found the exact same thing. 1/32 oz or nothing for the most part. That said, the smaller sizes were much more preferred when testing on bluegills. Glad to hear you shared the same bite and the same successes on the same baits!

Joel

--------------------
Joel Nelson - Ice Pro Staff
joel.nelson@in-depthoutdoors.com

tripjorgen

Thanks a lot guys. Order placed on some new tackle. Can't wait to get on those slabs!

scmelik

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Joel

Funny you say that. For crappies, I found the exact same thing. 1/32 oz or nothing for the most part. That said, the smaller sizes were much more preferred when testing on bluegills. Glad to hear you shared the same bite and the same successes on the same baits!

Joel

a few weeks ago the smaller one was the ticket for deep water perch. I have used a bunch of different plastics in the past few years and I haven't found a plastic that performed better than the Trigger X plastic.

It was a great bite yesterday, was even able to get my mom out for her first experience on catching crappies. Merry Christmas everyone!

--------------------
Scott Cmelik

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.