Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK Outdoor Gear Forum

Dave Barber

Jon Boat Flooring

Now that I have the new boat, I am looking at installing a floor. As it is now, it is kind of dangerous with the ribbing or whatever you call it going across the floor. It is like walking across beams... very hazzerdous for tripping over (see picture attached). Anyway, wanted to get some opinions/ideas on what to go with as far as the floor goes... as well as some ideas on how to install. Since this is mainly a riverboat... I would like to go with something light. I have thought about going with some kind of aluminum with some kind of diamond plating... though I don't even know if they make such a thing. I want it to be slip resistant... Other option would be to go with a marine grade plywood... but, again, I am getting into an issue of weight. If I did plywood... I would probably carpet the bottom as well. I am also looking at building a storage compartment across one side of the boat... So that is something to keep in mind as well. Last, I would like to put in a seat base for an optional 3rd seat in the middle... so I need whatever material I use to be sufficient to bolt a seat base onto. What are your thoughts or experiences? Any ideas to help me along in customizing this boat?

Edited by Dave Barber (05/21/07 10:19 AM)

David Scott

Re: Jon Boat Flooring

If you want a flush mount pedistal base int he middle, the flooring is going to have to be raised.. which isnt always a great idea in a jon boat. I would stay away from wood, its heavy, and you have a jet powered boat that you really want to keep the boat light, and the weight as balanced as possible.

The diamond plate aluminum would be the way to go, its very rugged and can take some abuse, and its very light for its strength. It is a hair on the expensive side. You would have a choice whether just to rivet or screw it to the existing floor braces, or better yet have someone weld it in to the existing braces. Instant reasonably flat floor with a low profile. As for the 3rd seat, you can either use a pedistal base that is above the flooring... or keep a lawn chair around.

Unless your jon boat is exceptionally deep, I would avoid raising the floor.

my 2 cents

Whiskerkev

I put wood in mine and wish I hadn't. It is heavy, and in year 4 I am thinking of replacing it already. Get someone to put in a nice aluminum floor. Whatever you do don't put carpet on your floor. You can wash the floor much easier without it. You can go thinner than that diamond stuff. You might want to put styrofoam or something under the floor. Never hurts to have more flotation and I think it cuts down on vibration and flex where you walk.

Whiskerkev

Oh and nice rig. I like the ones with the open floor plan.

Ottomatica

I'm going to build a deck in my small jon boat made of sandwiched aluminum honeycomb similar to this:

Honeycomb Panels

It's going to be expensive but it will be light, strong, and weather resistant.

SAUGER

If you do go with the wood floor, try tuff coat from cabelas.That stuff is very durable,comes in five or six colors and you can hose your boat out when it is muddy or full of slime. Plus it offers great traction even when wet.

--------------------
Whoever said laughter is the best medicine;obviously never had GONORRHEA

I'm no gynecologist but I'll take a look!

Dave Barber

Thanks All. I think it is more important to me to go light... so I am steering towards the aluminum. Anyone know of where I can obtain a 4x8 sheet of aluminum that won't break the bank? Diamond plating would be best as I really want to keep the slipperiness factor at a minimum. Or are there any other suggestions as far as that goes?

Thanks

Dave

Jon Jordan

I put 3/4 inch treated in. Carpeted the panels. Cut them so they fit in snug and can be removed to clean out the underside. Added weight was 60-70 pounds and did not slow me down at all.

Remeber on a flat bottom, once you are on plane there is not a lot of resistance. At least not in my case.

Unpainted diamond plate aluminum gets hot. Real hot.

-J.

Whiskerkev

Any flatbottom is going to be hot. I avoid the heat of the day when possible.I have a light interlocking rubber matting home depot couple bucks for 10 sq ft. cut it to fit or my puppy burned her feet. I can tell if I add a few pounds. My boat is almost overloaded.

David Scott

I am not sure where to get it Dave, there are lots of metal yards around N minneapolis, I would start by lookin there.

As for the heat issue.. metal gets hot in the sun. You can clean it up with alcohol to get any oils off.. scuff it with a sander and coat it with truck bed liner of a lighter color.. marsh grass color isnt too bad for absorbing heat.

David Scott

I did a little research and it looks like 1/8" material(dont think it has to be that thick?) is over $300 for a 4' x 8' sheet at discount steel.. or what it would cost to do your floor twice with marine grade ply and quality carpet.

Still sounds like you better have a pretty healthy piggy bank, or gwet used to walking on ribs.

Iowa_Josh

You could get by with 3/8 ply, painted top, bottom and edges with some sand on top to keep you from slippin. You would need something extra where the seat would bolt in. Just a thought. 3/4 ply is approximately 75# per sheet.

Dave Barber

Well, as much as I want to stay light... I think Jon has a point. Once on plain, it is pretty much a moot point. Also, I don't have 300 sitting around that I can drop on aluminum. I am thinking I may just have to go with plywood. I think I would just go with one sheet... and leave the middle seat out of it. Might be just a better idea to go with a lawn chair if I have too much company.

Perch_44

put in an aluminum floor, put a coat of paint on it, and then install HydroTurf on top of it. that will be light, plenty of traction,and helps with the heat issue too. also, will last a lifetime. make sure you put some non-absorbent foam under the floor for structure (stops flexing between the ribs).

hydroturf - http://hydroturf.com/products.php?cat=Sheets%20of%20Hydro-Turf

here is some closeout stuff. $25/sheet
http://hydroturf.com/products.php?cat=Closeouts%20and%20Specials&man=Hydro-Turf

--------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits...

Jon Jordan

Here are a few pix of my jon boat and flooring. This boat is a 2001, purchased new and did the floor shortly after buying the boat. (C-Liner 1448) Now, this is my winter beater. The floors main purpose was to provide a non slick surface. An insulating barrier for my feet, but most of all a place for my ol dog to hang out.

There are 2 panels separated buy the bench livewell. These lift out for easy drying and cleaning. This is treated inch plywood and 2x4s. Wood, carpet and glue was purchased at Fleet Farm. Also used S/S staples around the edges. This has held up very well for me. I can pull the panels out and hose them off for a good cleaning when needed. And believe me you want to be able to clean out the crap that builds up under the floor after a winter of fishing with minnows!

Again, no significant speed or performance reductions. This little boat screams along at 30-32 mph running solo. Plenty fast for me.

Jon Jordan

Top view looking in.

Jon Jordan

Rear panel.

Jon Jordan

Front panel.

Jon Jordan

Quote:

You could get by with 3/8 ply, painted top, bottom and edges with some sand on top to keep you from slippin.

I'll agree with that. My 3/4 approach is a little over kill. But I'm known for that! Maybe 1/2 as a nice compromise?

-J.

Dave Barber

Well... I am not sure whether to go the 3/4 or 1/2. I don't think I would go smaller than that due to the fact that it is not COMPLETELY flatbottom in the middel. There is a little curve to it... though not much. The middle will sink a little... so I would go 3/4 just to keep it a little more sturdy.

Jon, that is a nice setup. I don't think I would be adding any more weight than what my tackle box weighs... I want to fish a little bit in comfort... but still be able to get to those holes via those shallow points. Not sure if you saw my other post... but here are some real pics of the boat I am doing up...

Dave Barber

Here is another.

Dave Barber

Last...

Jon Jordan

I don't know anything about jets. To me, it looks like you took the lower unit off on a wingdam at WOT - lol.

For me fishing solo, the extra weight up front keeps the nose down.

Running shallow.....like wet sand shallow? Faster the better. Hit it, skid over it and hope you don't get hung up!

-J.

Dave Barber

And if you do get hung up... either you better be wearing a seatbelt or life jacket... one or the other. lol

Mike W

I would think if you put insulation under the plywood you would be able to get by with thiner wood.

Hey Jon. I think I have a winter project for you. My Jon boat could use some updating.

--------------------
Mike Westman -612-501-7089
www.HomeTownplumbing.net
Guided Walleye trips on Pool 2

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.