Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK Ice Fishing Forum

muskyman

Tip up pagers

Anyone have or know someone who has tried the Strike Master pager system for your tip ups. I have looked for some reviews online but have come up empty. I love the concept of them, but was just curious if they are what they say they are? Thanks fellas

--------------------
I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." - Michael Jordan

Fishing Vet

Re: Tip up pagers

I have been using them and love the way they work. Only problem is that one time I lost a pager down a hole in a house when it got bumped off a shelf.

I did go and get another one.

--------------------
Jason Bassett
Disabled Fishing Veterans
FishingVets.Com

AJ

I've got some and they are the best. There has been several times that I look out the window at the tip ups, and the pager goes off just moments after I sit back down. If not for the pager, they would go unseen for several minutes.

They work well at any distance too, at least farther then you should be from your tip up. Plus you can rig up several tip ups with one pager unit, works well when your out with a larger group.

Only downfall, (at least the older ones I have, maybe they've updated them) they're are only on one frequency, so if you have someone fishing near you with one, you get alerted to their flag.

--------------------
"I feel that if a gun is good enough to protect something as important as a bar, then its good enough to protect my family." Homer Simpson

EJ

I don't fish at night without them. The units have thousands of frequency combinations.

EJ

GoBig or GoHome

I think they work the best at night or if you are in your house. Last night I looked out and the flag was up but the pager did not go off which was the first time every in the 3 years I have had them (Minnow tripped the flag) good news is there is a red light that also lights up when the flag goes up so I was easily able to see it. I like mine.

--------------------
GoBig or GoHome...why buy anything less then the best and the biggest and two is always better then one!!

BZZSAW

We've been using them at the cabin for the last 3 or 4 years. They work awesome. My neighbor has them also. He has his frequency set different than mine. I've run 6 transmitters on my one receiver. You need to make sure you keep the batteries fresh. If they are fresh, they will work up to a quarter to a half mile. The first year my neighbor had his, we had a warden camando down our shoreline while we were playing cards in the cabin. The beeper went off. My neighbor was down there in less than 2 minutes. It hadn't taken any line out, so he reset it. As he walked back in, the warden came off shore (dark out) and stated... 'So those things do work..'

If your fishing out of a shack with tipups out, and don't like looking out the window every couple minutes, you don't have to with the beepers.

BZZSAW

PS. If you can find out what code your buddy is using for his transmitters, you can mess with him.

EJ

One more tip. If it is real cold out and your units are warm, then let the sending units get cold before setting them up. I have had them freeze up from condensation otherwise.

EJ

Whiskerkev

I am also interested in these pagers. My new shack has crappy sight lines for tipup fishing. Sticker shock though. 55 bones for a pager and 25 each for the transmitter? Ouch. Maybe I am only seeing the best one but 300 bucks for a spread of 9? What make and model are you folks happy with?

BZZSAW

Whiskerkev,
I think the 55.00 dollars should get you a reciever and a transmitter. Then they cost about 25.00 - 30.00 for each additional transmitter. They are initially kind of spendy but they make great gift ideas if someone doesn't know what to give you.

Buck Slayer

If BZZSAW finds out what his buddy's code is pay backs could go on for a long time.

BZZSAW

His buddy would have to first learn how to read a dip switch.

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.