Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK General Discussion Forum

Ralph Wiggum

1lb Propane Tank Disposal

Our recycling provider suggests that the proper way to dispose of our 1lb propane cylinders is to remove the valve and throw them in the garbage.

How the heck do I get the valve out of those things?

--------------------
~Ryan (my name is not really Ralph Wiggum )

Mark Steffes

Re: 1lb Propane Tank Disposal

Why throw them away, refill them. My buddy has an adapter that he uses to refill them of a 20 lb bottle.

Ralph Wiggum

Quote:

Why throw them away, refill them. My buddy has an adapter that he uses to refill them of a 20 lb bottle.

No thanks. That doesn't seem too safe to me, plus it is illegal to transport them after they're refilled.

--------------------

Bret Clark

I have no idea how to remove the valve but I do toss them in the garbage and have not had a problem with the garbage man taking them away.

I also refuse to refill a 1# bottle. Just not worth the hassle.

--------------------
I carry a gun because a cop is to heavy.

chomps

tried to refill a few bottles a few years ago, seemed like a good idea at the time. Was up on Upper Red and the air was so cold it took the breath right out of you. The refilled tanks never fully discharged, one wouldn't even work and when i went to unscrew it, the valve was stuck open and frozen gas came out on to my already frozen hands, needless to say I went searching for bottles which were not refills, never again.

--------------------
Pete-Dude! It's Beef!

chomps

oh, and I think a valve stem remover is the tool you are looking for, just remove in well vented areas.

--------------------
Pete-Dude! It's Beef!

Dodge Boy

I just tossed them into the recycle bin when I used these. Now I tote around a 20# since I just use the snowmobile now to get around.

--------------------
She tried tell'in me a story about free milk and pie

James HolstAdministrator

Quote:

Our recycling provider suggests that the proper way to dispose of our 1lb propane cylinders is to remove the valve and throw them in the garbage.

How the heck do I get the valve out of those things?

.280 from about 75 yards.

Just kidding. Do NOT try that.

--------------------
James Holst
In-Depth Outdoors Pro Staff
In-Depth Outdoors TV - Watch Episodes Online Here!
---------------------

Ralph Wiggum

Quote:

.280 from about 75 yards.

Just kidding. Do NOT try that.

On Mythbusters last week, they were shooting big propane tanks to see if they'd blow up. It took a mini-gun to actaully get the propane to light

--------------------

James HolstAdministrator

Incendiary rounds.

--------------------
James Holst
In-Depth Outdoors Pro Staff
In-Depth Outdoors TV - Watch Episodes Online Here!
---------------------

LundgEYE

I built a tire valve tool with an extra long nose for removing the valve on these bottles. We talked about it about a year ago on this forum and I posted some pictures..I'll see if I can round them back up. I had terrible luck trying to refill the pounders as well..so now just remove the valve and toss them into the garbage can.

Timmy

I am not trying to be a wise guy - but why go through the trouble of removing a valve? Why not just use them up, and toss as-is? If the garbage man takes them, what is the problem?

Tim

--------------------
I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Super Do

You could also go buy a 5lb refillable tank and stop throwing the 1 lbers in the landfill.

PierBridge

Quote:

I am not trying to be a wise guy - but why go through the trouble of removing a valve? Why not just use them up, and toss as-is? If the garbage man takes them, what is the problem?

Tim

Because recycling provider's suggest the proper way to dispose of our 1lb propane cylinders is to remove the valve and throw them in the garbage.

Timmy

Quote:

Quote:

Tim

Because recycling provider's suggest the proper way to dispose of our 1lb propane cylinders is to remove the valve and throw them in the garbage.

I realize that - I was just curious as to why. Since it was a suggestion, and not a requirement, I thought there must be some reason that makes valve removal preferred. The original post said the recycler suggests removing the valve before throwing them in the garbage Just curious, as I use only a handful of these a year, and they are usually(99% of the time) refills.

I never was one to accept "because I said so - that's why" as a valid reason. I did not intend to ruffle any feathers.

Tim

--------------------
I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

shaley

I always hated getting gouged on 1#ers I switched to all 20# years ago and I'm happy. Cost me $10 to get my 20 refilled not sure what the equals out to in 1# tanks but guessing you cant run the same lenth of time on $10 worth.

Ralph Wiggum

I think the "why" is because they'd hate to see a worker injured if a pressurized canister was compromised and exploded.

--------------------

Timmy

Makes sense! Thanks.

I was unaware that these were even recyclable.

Tim

--------------------

LundgEYE

I always pull the valve because they are "never" completely empty, and opening the container to the atmosphere eiminates any chance of an explosion in the garbage truck, or anyplace else. Yes..I have a 5 pounder, a 11 pounder and a 20..so I use the big ones too but for portability, the 1 pounders make for light travel . I posted pictures of a valve removal tool on 1-25-2007 on this site which was a reply to "how to get rid of 1# propane tanks". I don't know how to get those pics back over here into this post but maybe one of the webmasters can do it for us or you can go seach on that date under my name and find them. Good luck...

big G

Here is LundgEye's tool

1201061003_tool.jpg

--------------------
big G

You can tell how big a person is, by what it takes to discourage them! "Hooks"

Ralph Wiggum

Perfect! Now how did you make that? I have the valve tool in the top of the picture, but it is no where near long enough.

--------------------

life1978

Quote:

Incendiary rounds.

+1 on that!

--------------------
I'm a cultured person with the vocabulary of a highly educated sailor.

LundgEYE

Hahaha..ok you guys, now I'm scratching my head a little because it has been in my garage kit for a long time. I know the crossmember in the valve tool presses out easily..I just opened my vise a little, set it on end and took a hammer to it. It immediately started moving out and I used a small punch to finish the job. As for the long nose, I could not find a tiny pipe that was strong enough so I used a solid shaft of soft steel (this one might have been a nail). I drilled into the end with a tiny bit, then enlarged it slightly with another bit. After that I used a dremel tool with cutting wheel to make the slot. Once I had that end done, I just took my torch and brazed the long nose back to the body. My job of brazing here is certainly not one to be proud of but it has been doing the job for me for years. Once the valve stem is loose, it still doesn't just fell out because there is a tiny O-ring in the canister neck so just take a needle nose pliers and pull it out (very easy). Good luck. In all honesty, you could even eliminate all brazing or soldering...by just putting an L or offset into the long nose and using it that way. The only critical end is the one with the slot cut and the hole in the middle. The hole in mine is probably 3/8 inch deep, no real precision required.

LundgEYE

Thanks Big G for posting the picture, I hope it helps a few guys out.

big G

Your welcome. Ingenuity at it's best on IDO again !!! Thank You LundgEye !!!

big g

--------------------
big G

You can tell how big a person is, by what it takes to discourage them! "Hooks"

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.