Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK General Discussion Forum

walleye wisdom

Homemade rod holders?

I bought a RAM rod holder a couple weeks ago for my boat, and to be honest, i'm not a huge fan of it. I'm sure it takes some getting used to, but at $20 a pop, there has to be a better alternative. There has to be a way to use just a piece of PVC tubing i would think.

Anyone have any plans or made some? I want to get a nice spread of 4-5 rods going at a time, so at $20 each, the RAM holders are a bit pricey, but i may just have to go with them...

David Scott

Re: Homemade rod holders?

The cheapest way you can go if you have an area to mount them would be flush mount rod holders which are similar to PVC that stick at a slight angle below a surface you stick the rod butt into.

If your set on the style of holder(ram) you are using, the rams do cost more than attwood or scotty holders, but they are a very tough holder in comparison, and worth the extra money.

I used to love the ram holders... then I discovered Folbe rod holders.... My boat will be all switched over soon with 8 holders total.

I think the cost is irrelevant at $25/holder when its sometimes holding a $300+ fishing rod combo. I need to have confidence that holder will not fail.

walleye wisdom

Very valid points. What are your plans for the rod holders that will be coming off your boat...

David Scott

Quote:

Very valid points. What are your plans for the rod holders that will be coming off your boat...

Im not quite sure as of yet.. I have a second smaller boat sitting here that could use a couple holders, but I may just leave them in the boat for when fishing in states where several lines are allowed per angler. I dont go often, but when I do it would be nice to have 16 rod holders in the boat drifting for cats.

Sam_u_L

I just bought these quick draw holders from cabelas, they are on sale online for 4 for 57$, the only problem is that some of your bigger rod butts may not fit so well, but they should fit the other model that is on sale. Just click on this address.

Please repost link using the URP instant UBB Code button. Thanks!

Edited by Briank (04/03/08 07:57 PM)

David Scott

Any way you can shorten that link Sam?

skippy783

I made some homemade rod holders for bank fishing that work really well. You can probably figure out a way to convert them to mount in a boat.

All used a pvc Y connection and then put a cap in it and drilled a hole to put some readyrod through it. Put a a nut on either side of the cap to hold the rod in place. Then I used a rotary tool to carve out part of the Y so that my baitcasters would sit down into the holder nicely.

Pretty sure I could modify it to fit a spinning rod too without much trouble. I will get my camera and take some pictures of it and post it up here later(if I can find the cord )

--------------------
"Just partied through college, aquired some knowledge
never did get a degree
We did it our way, looking back on the good days
There's not a lot I regret
Nights I can't remember, With friends I'll never forget"

Sam_u_L

sorry, I dont know how to post a shorter link, but you can go to cabelas website and search for "quick draw" the item will be on the frst results page and is listed as a four pack.

--------------------
The Green hornet has caught more fish than you've lied about!!

dandorn

Quote:

sorry, I dont know how to post a shorter link, but you can go to cabelas website and search for "quick draw" the item will be on the frst results page and is listed as a four pack.

Click on the Cabela's link so that the URL turns blue and then hit "Ctrl" and "c" at the same time.
You just copied the URL.
Now back to IDO and you want to add the link to your post or to your reply.
Click on "URL" in the "Instant UBB Code" box below where you are
typing your reply. It will bring up an "Explorer User Prompt" box in the upper left hand corner of your screen.
It will have "http://" highlighted in blue and it will prompt you to "Enter the complete URL for the link you wish to add." The only thing you need to do at this point is to hit "Ctrl" and "v" at the same time.
You should have just pasted the Cabela's link in the box. If it worked now press the "Okay" box. It will now bring up another "Explorer User Prompt box" that will have "Web Page" highlighted in blue. Hit the delete button
to remove "Webpage" and type in your own customized name to the provided link such as I did here.

Cabela's Rod Holders

It seems a bit more complex then it really is and after you've done a couple it's a snap.

life1978

Quote:

I made some homemade rod holders for bank fishing that work really well. You can probably figure out a way to convert them to mount in a boat.

All used a pvc Y connection and then put a cap in it and drilled a hole to put some readyrod through it. Put a a nut on either side of the cap to hold the rod in place. Then I used a rotary tool to carve out part of the Y so that my baitcasters would sit down into the holder nicely.

Pretty sure I could modify it to fit a spinning rod too without much trouble. I will get my camera and take some pictures of it and post it up here later(if I can find the cord )

a PIC WOULD BE COOL!

--------------------
I'm a cultured person with the vocabulary of a highly educated sailor.

rawask

Take a look at the Folbe rod holders. They are awesome IMHO.

skippy783

Here are the pictures. I used 2" PVC Y's and I cut them so that my 6500 c3's fit in them nicely. They work great if you have some good black dirt near the shore, not so much if its rocky I didn't glue the cap and rod to the rest of it just to make it easier to store. I'm sure someone could come up with a way to mount them to a boat, I'm just not that creative, nor do I have a boat to mount them on. Possibly a shorter piece of readyrod run through the oar locks???

1207367870_DSCN0749.JPG1207367915_DSCN0750.JPG
1207367870_DSCN0749.JPG

--------------------
"Just partied through college, aquired some knowledge
never did get a degree
We did it our way, looking back on the good days
There's not a lot I regret
Nights I can't remember, With friends I'll never forget"

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.