Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK Ice Fishing Forum

riverbottoms

Black Eyed Susan Grubs?

Does anyone know when to pick the stalks of the black Eyed Susan for the grubs in the stalks? Is it before or after the flower blooms.
The Black Eyed Susan plant is the Yellow Daisy looking plant you see growing along the roads and railroad tracks

RKD-Jim

Re: Black Eyed Susan Grubs?

I've heard of goldenrod grubs but never black-eyed-susan grubs. Like to hear more about them.

--------------------
GOD MADE MAN BEFORE WOMAN SO AS TO GIVE HIM TIME TO THINK OF AN ANSWER FOR HER FIRST QUESTION

riverbottoms

Jim,
I wish I could tell you more about Black Eyed Susan grubs. You'll have to google Black Eyed Susans to see what the plant looks like. The grubs are in the stalks. I believe you harvest the stalks after the plant has died off and store the stalks in the freezer. Years ago I watched an older fellow ice fisherman hammering the gills when everyone else around him were using wax worms and doing squat.The grubs are smaller than a waxworms but bigger (thicker) than a goldenrod grub. The old fellow said the outer skin is tougher than a waxworm also. I plan on using these acorn grubs, goldenrod grubs along with waxies, and maggies this year for the panfish.

BUR69

In NE Iowa, I usually harvest the grubs around Thanksgiving weekend. It seems like it's best after the ground freezes but before we get much snow. After it snows some, the birds seem to eat most of the grubs. The grubs do make pretty good panfish bait. And they are definitely different from golden rod grubs. The "Suzies" are about 3/8 to 1/2" long and white.

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.