Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK Carp, Suckers & Rough Fish

castandblast

Fishing in Laos

Hey All,

I didn't know where to post this. I thought roughfish was as close as it gets. An International forum would work great here.

I finally got to go fishing after a month of adjusting and settling in here. I made a friend here in Laos that likes fishing as much as me. We hit it off and made plans to go to the large reservoir one hour north of where I live in the Capitol of Vientianne. The name of the lake is Nahm Ngum which is about the size of Mille Lacs Lake except it is dotted with many islands. I was amazed and pleasantly surprised by the remoteness of this water. There has probably been very few foreigners who have been able to fish it like I was able to. We saw very few boats on the lake when we were fishing.

This lake is amazingly beautiful. I was awestruck by its beauty and seclusion. I never thought this cool place existed. Not much info can be found about this place even online.

The target species was the, "Hampala Barb" Its Scientific Name is: Hampala macrolepidota and in Thai is known as, "Pla Kasoop Keed." There is another species very similar called, "Pla Kasoop Juud," which we caught also. The "Keed" is a much bigger species.

This structure was built before the dam was built.

Morning on Nahm Ngum.

This is the smaller "Pla Kasoop Juud" which I have caught before.

My friend Lan with a nice "Keed."

I finally got my new life-lister; the "Pla Kasoop Keed."

Mountains surround this beautiful Lake.

Lan's brother-in-law, who owned the boat.

We fished weed and brush structures like this.

Notice the lone wisker at the corner of the mouth.

This was the big one of the day. I was told it was a trophy by Lao standards. It went 22" and about 5 lbs.

These fish have a unique gold color to them. I have never seen such big scales before.

We ended the day with 17. 8 were "Keed" and 9 were "Juud."

Overall, this ranks real high in my fishing experiences. I have learned an incredible amount about international fishing and culture. These fish were very aggressive and were all caught on silver and gold spoons. They are very sporty much like fishing for bass or northern. When they hit, it's like a ton of bricks. I am looking forward to my next outing up there and I am glad to have the opportunity. I am truly a blessed man!

Jon Jordan

Re: Fihing in Laos

Great report!

-J.

Bob G

Great report, but were they good eating ?

--------------------
SEMPER FI 58-61

Kooty

--------------------
I was born in the 70's, grew up in 80's, made my mistakes in 90's now I'm just trying to make up for lost time.

John

Mike Stori

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

castandblast

Quote:

Great report, but were they good eating ?

I couldn't tell you yet. I ended up giving some to my Lao employees and they polished them all off. I forgot to save one for myself but that's ok because I'll be back.

--------------------
Lifetime Student of Fishing

Kooty

Is fishing a "rich man's" sport in Laos??

--------------------
I was born in the 70's, grew up in 80's, made my mistakes in 90's now I'm just trying to make up for lost time.

John

castandblast

Quote:

Is fishing a "rich man's" sport in Laos??

Since Laos is in the top ten for poorest nations of the world and most fishing here is subsistance fishing and not sport fishing, yes it is a rich man's sport, however, I am not considered a rich man in America but I am here. In fact, I would fall somewhere just below middle class back home.

--------------------

Mike W

Great report. Very interesting. I could just imagine those fish cooked up with some chillies and fish sauce. Keep the reports coming.

--------------------
Mike Westman -612-501-7089
www.HomeTownplumbing.net
Guided Walleye trips on Pool 2

Kooty

I assumed that, but was just curious. Again, thanks for sharing a whole nother world with us.

--------------------

John

chomps

very very cool post! keep them coming.

--------------------
Pete-Dude! It's Beef!

suckerslayer

Awsome report!! Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
Cry "Havoc" and let slip the dogs of war.

Jeremy Liebig

Simply awesome....Can't wait for the next report.

--------------------
www.smokertackle.com

channelcatben

Great report. First of many, I hope.

--------------------
The two best times to fish are when it's rainin' and when it ain't.

troutsrus

That looks like a neat place. Thanks for sharing .

life1978

--------------------
I'm a cultured person with the vocabulary of a highly educated sailor.

ezwalt

Re: Fishing in Laos

Great report C&B please keep them coming

How long will you be in Laos??

Outdoors4Life

Quote:

Great report C&B please keep them coming

How long will you be in Laos??

He will be there for 3 years. I am hoping to visit him while he is there.

--------------------
Knowing is not enough. We must apply, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fish_4_fun

hey i was born and raised in laos, i miss those fish so much. they taste good when roasted over a fire.

BrianKAdministrator

C&B what other types of fish inhabit the Laotian waters?

Again, thanks for sharing. It's pretty darn awesome to see what's going on in the fishing world on the other side of the globe!

--------------------
Please visit our valued sponsors
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
BrianK's Trophy Cat Fishing and Sturgeon Adventures<<
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

castandblast

Several different Snakehead, Catfish, and Carp species exist. The following site covers the different species quite well. Check it out at: http://www.anglingthailand.com/fish_species/index.htm

I will be fishing both Thailand and Laos over the next three years. I have started my Asian Lifelist and hope to come up with a diversity of species. It is just amazing to me to learn fish habits and fishing tecniques so different from what I am used to. It has broadened my angling experience and hopefully made me a better angler in the process.

--------------------

fish_4_fun

you know there are giant mekong river carps. there was this asian guy who caught one and it was on teh discovery channel. you should try and catch one.

Outdoors4Life

I talked to him on the phone today and he is finally getting his fishing gear Sat and he has plans to fish the mekong for the dif species of carp.

--------------------
Knowing is not enough. We must apply, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

castandblast

I am just Stoked!!!

My house will be in order soon. The rest of my fishing gear is coming Monday. I am planning an outing at a great Carp lake soon (potentially 6 new species for my lifelist). The temperature is a pleasant 70 degrees for the next two months. Can it get any better than this? As much as I love ice fishing, I don't mind missing a few Midwest winters.

I hope to have some new pics for you all in the next couple of weeks or so.

--------------------

BrianKAdministrator

Quote:

is a pleasant 70 degrees for the next two months.

Nothing like rubbing it in.

Good Luck! We'll be waiting for the full report!

--------------------
Please visit our valued sponsors
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
BrianK's Trophy Cat Fishing and Sturgeon Adventures<<
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

castandblast

I have to rub it in Briank because for the next 9 months after that I will be sweating my *ss off!

Plus it's always fun to rub it in.

I actually love ice fishing so good luck to you all. I look forward to see some great ice fishing reports.

--------------------

redtailcf1975

i stay now in vientiane and want go fishing this lake. how i can contact your lao friends? can you help me?

castandblast

Quote:

i stay now in vientiane and want go fishing this lake. how i can contact your lao friends? can you help me?

pm sent

--------------------

ArmchairDeity

Just did a little research... golden mahseer and hampala barb are in the same general family of fishes. And the barb looks a LOT like a small mahseer.

Apparently they're often caught in the same general area/habitat, also.

I only went to look because I wondered if they were the same species. Apparently not... but your fish sure look like small mahseer!

VERY COOL... I love your posts. Keep'em coming!

--------------------
Fish the edges, boy. Fish live on the edge, like cold-blooded aquatic adrenaline junkies. Find the edges and fish the edges and you will find the fish.

"Research" is what you do when you can't afford to buy whatever it is you're researching. I'm tired of doing research.

MNCSA #3 - as in 3 times the fish of anyone else in the boat.

mplspug

I believe he is back in the states now.

--------------------
WWMCD? WWRSD?

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
― Albert Einstein

MNCSA #7

ArmchairDeity

Quote:

I believe he is back in the states now.

That's what I thought at first... but then wasnt so sure. But, I failed to read the dates on the posts. I do believe you are correct, sir.

--------------------
Fish the edges, boy. Fish live on the edge, like cold-blooded aquatic adrenaline junkies. Find the edges and fish the edges and you will find the fish.

"Research" is what you do when you can't afford to buy whatever it is you're researching. I'm tired of doing research.

Ralph Wiggum

C&B's definitely in the States. I fished with him a couple months ago, and his kids made best friends with my dog.

ArmchairDeity

Cool!

Dude, I didn't know you were in Crystal... I'm in BC. Drop me a PM if you ever want to go out together...

--------------------

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.