Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK Ice Fishing Forum

KJK

How do you haul your ice fishing gear on an ATV

Iam curious to see how all you guys set up your atv to haul your ice fishing gear. The auger mount on the front is a no brainer, but looking for some ideas/tips to haul the minnow bucket, vex, buckets, poles etc.. Iam guessing that this topic has probably be discussed, but I can't find any previous posts.
Thanks in advance.

James HolstAdministrator

Re: How do you haul your ice fishing gear on an

With me everything ends up in the Otter.

Marcum, underwater camera, rods in rod packs, small tackle boxes in the same rod packs, scooper and minnow bucket... with plenty of room left over for anything else I can't stand to leave at home.

--------------------
James Holst
In-Depth Outdoors Pro Staff
In-Depth Outdoors TV - Watch Episodes Online Here!
---------------------

tslonek

Re: How do you haul your ice fishing gear on an ATV

I have 3 plastic milk boxes mounted on the back of my wheeler. A 5 gallon pail fits perfectly in them.

dandorn

I put the spendy stuff in a Lock N Ride box on the back, auger on the front, and the rest goes in the sled of the portable.

1229299564_1206207647_IMG_0037.jpg

KJK

Thanks for the reply James.
Ya that sounds like a real good way to go, unfortunatey the new otter is not in the budget for me this year.

James HolstAdministrator

Those gear carriers are pretty slick. I could see making good use of one. If your budget is tight you might want to consider buying the sled this season and the poles and cover next season.

An otter medium sled is a little over $100 and you can haul everything and the kitchen sink in it.

http://www.thornebros.com/winter/shelters/otter/sled_medium.html

Mr. Dandorn... that carrier looks very nice. Where did you get that one and, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

--------------------
James Holst
In-Depth Outdoors Pro Staff
In-Depth Outdoors TV - Watch Episodes Online Here!
---------------------

KJK

Thanks for the replies
All very good ideas.

*Nick*

Depends on how far I plan on going most of the time, I'm not going too far, and just strap things down and go.

If I were running and gunning or I did a lot of ice fishing, I would invest the money on some hard boxes to go on the wheeler, proper setup goes a long way to making sure you don't lose things and they are easy to access and use when on the ice.

dandorn

I was thinking about getting one of these as well.
Although it sounds like they need to work out the mounting system if you read the product reviews.

Bucket holder @ Cabela's

1229300909_BucketholderCabelas.jpg

Matt Grow

I use the Otter Monster Box. I don't fish with a house often so its really nice to throw everything in it. I can fit everything I need in there except the auger. This year I'm going to pick up a few accessories for it, such as the gas tank and buck holder. It truly is a wonderful thing. It has a lock on it. I have the medium box and its huge. The large is truly a monster. Otter monster box

1229302420_MBMain-Web.jpg1229302433_MBGasTank1.jpg1229302446_MBBucketHolder.jpg
1229302420_MBMain-Web.jpg

BIRDDOG

Here's my machine and how it's set up. I find it works well, everything has it's place. The front is a cabelas basket with a mad dog auger mount. I use this space for minnow bucket, vexilar and shovel. The rear has a Kolpin drop basket. I use it's space for a propane tank and a box I made for my Mr. heater/cooker and hose. Can fit 3-5 gallon buckets if I needed. Attached to the inside of drop basket is a atv bag on each side, use them for extras...straps, tools, bungies, snatch blocks...etc. On top of the rear basket is another atv "bag" or series of bags. I use these for extra pins/clips, tools, etc...

Windshield and Ram mount for the H2O and hand warmers.

I tow a voyager rigged with 3 sets of rope lights, a couple small totes filled with vex batteries, tackle box's, radio, pliers, lighters, etc. I keep a foam mat in the bottom for the sled for under the feet and my altered arrow case for rods/reels. I use a "tidy cat" plastic litter container for my fish, it's the perfect width, height for the sled.

It works well for me, everything has it's place.

BIRDDOG

1229302830_P1010038.JPG1229302906_P1010036.JPG
1229302830_P1010038.JPG

--------------------
FOR BETTER OR WORSE, FISHING AND HUNTING COME FIRST

Kooty

That's an awful good looking wheeler used in those photos.

Cant wait to see other's photos now that I got something to rig on.

--------------------
I was born in the 70's, grew up in 80's, made my mistakes in 90's now I'm just trying to make up for lost time.

John

DaveI

Otter Monster Box is a great way to go.

Matt Grow

Thats what what I'm talkin bout
The Monster Boxes are saweet. Just throw it in the trunk and go

dandorn

Those are nice boxes!! How long have they been around?

Are they bolted on?

Chris Tuckner

I am with James. Three milk crates in the Otter, and my heater and tank is secure....and my auger fits right over the top. Cover goes over all...and away I go! Minnow buckets ride well in milk crates too.

Matt Grow

Quote:

Those are nice boxes!! How long have they been around?

Are they bolted on?

They are bolted on. They've only been around since Jan 2007 I beleive.

Timmy

I built a box for the rear of my ATV. Auger straps on top of it with a lone bungee - held from sliding by some brackets. Teepee house straps on top of everything. I like this set-up because I can fish without pulling a trailer. ATV int eh back of the truck stays free of road salt....

I can haul everything I need for a day of spearing and angling in the evening afterwards without pulling a sled.

Tim

1229347929_Fall2007108.jpg

--------------------
I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

fish any time

Quote:

I was thinking about getting one of these as well.
Although it sounds like they need to work out the mounting system if you read the product reviews.

Bucket holder @ Cabela's

I do have one of these and I'd say that you can get by. I have had the bucket bounce out with my gear spread across the ice once. I didn't notice it missing for a few miles. Also the bucket tend to fill up with snow when traveling.

IMO the monster box is the way to go. I just need to squirl away some money to buy one.

TheguN

Here is what I came up with one afternoon when I was bored!

1229353060_IMG_2730.JPG1229353108_IMG_2729.JPG
1229353060_IMG_2730.JPG

--------------------
Never take life to seriously! You wont get out alive anyway!
OH and!!
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Wade White

Holy Cow TheguN, is that the kitchen sink I see?!!

But once you get out there, it looks like you're set.

--------------------
Q: "Where'd you get that fish?"
R: "Right here in the lip!!"

the grump

Wow, looks very effective, but I keep seeing the Beverly Hillbillies driving down Hollywood Blvd in my head.

1229361660_Beverly-Hillbillies-in-car.jpg1229361681_Clampetts-route-Hollywood.jpg
1229361660_Beverly-Hillbillies-in-car.jpg

--------------------
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

Ottomatica

Give ME a call next time you're bored...

TheguN

ya it does look a little like that! but ya know I just got so sick of everything bouncing around in the sled! I got a otter lodge as well and i had build dividers in that to keep things in there own area! still things would get broke!

This way everything rides on the wheelers suspension! I know it will be a little more loading and unloading but hopefully things wont get broke as much! I say as much cuz i know im hard on things and stuff will still break!

--------------------
Never take life to seriously! You wont get out alive anyway!
OH and!!
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Kooty

I just found a steal of a deal on the large monster box. Matt is picking it up for me this week.

--------------------
I was born in the 70's, grew up in 80's, made my mistakes in 90's now I'm just trying to make up for lost time.

John

Matt Grow

I'm pretty sure you can fit all 3 kids in there

Chris Tuckner

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you can fit all 3 kids in there

I have 6. I'll take 2.

Kooty

A candle should keep them warm, I suppose??

--------------------

John

Chris Tuckner

Nah. Tuff'n up or stay home.

Who am I kidding? They would have me in there while they got the house.

DaveI

That's the cool thing about hauling your stuff on the ATV, like in a Monster Box. Nothing bounces around in the sled, you can haul your ATV and all the gear right where it is, loaded and ready. Unload the ATV, hook-up the house and go. The Monster Box is even lockable if you stop to grab a bite to eat somewhere.

Kooty

I don't have nearly enough stuff for the large, but I'll figure a way to manage.

--------------------

John

fish any time

Quote:

I don't have nearly enough stuff for the large, but I'll figure a way to manage.

But think of all the beer you can stuff in the extra space.

Kooty

I don't dring anymore.

--------------------

John

Matt Grow

Quote:

I don't dring anymore.

Exactly

Kooty

I was waiting to see if Francis caught that.

--------------------

John

fish any time

Quote:

I was waiting to see if Francis caught that.

Actually I did and had the same thought as Matt.
I was trying to decide if you meant drink, which I knew possibly couldn't be, or bring.

Chris Tuckner

Quote:

Then put it on my wheeler! I have enough!

Kooty

Matt and I got the box secured tonight. She's pretty hot looking. I can only imagine how much stuff I'm gonna have to pack to fill it up.

--------------------

John

Russ&Judy

iv done it this way for years

1229524249_4-wheelerready.jpg

dandorn

Quote:

Matt and I got the box secured tonight. She's pretty hot looking. I can only imagine how much stuff I'm gonna have to pack to fill it up.

How about a pic. of the new acquisition.

Kooty

Not great, but they are all I got with the cell phone this morning on my way out the door.

Once I get her loaded up and ready for the weekend, I'll take some better pics.

1229525116_monster2.jpg1229525135_monster3.jpg
1229525116_monster2.jpg

--------------------

John

dandorn

Looking good!!

Chris Tuckner

I don't think it is big enough for that tub of empties!

chomps

are you going to add some ballast on the front to keep you from popp'n wheelies? All that weight back there you are sure to end up on youtube in one of those loading accidents.

--------------------
Pete-Dude! It's Beef!

Kooty

I'll be sure to pack the beer after it's loaded in the truck. Otherwise I'll just get Grow to sit on the front rack...

--------------------

John

*Nick*

Who carries theses otter boxes? and where could I look at one?

dandorn

Quote:

Who carries theses otter boxes? and where could I look at one?

Matt Grow provided a link on page #1.

The beer is sold separately.

Kooty

I couldn't talk Matty into getting into the box last night for a photo Op. I'll try again this weekend, may take a few more beers...

--------------------

John

dandorn

Quote:

that carrier looks very nice. Where did you get that one and, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

James,

The cargo box is a Polaris product.
The saddle bags are sold separately and they also have a
padded backrest that mounts to the box. You can see the
top of the backrest in my pic.
I like the ease at which it can be installed or removed
with the expanding anchors that fit into the "Lock & Ride" holes in the back deck.

Prices are listed in my link and are negotiable at your
preferred Polaris dealer.

Dan

Matt Grow

Yup we did good Koot,.......And yours is a box I'll never venture into.

Thore

Dave1 can you ride 2 people on a 4 wheeler with that otter monster box I can't till from the angle

Kooty

Yes, as long as you trust your buddy.

--------------------

John

Chuck Nordahl

I have a typical drop basket on the back rack on my ATV, and it works.

I've been known to haul gear in an Otter sled, and when there's no snow I've used my Otter SuperX trailer to haul the Otter Lodge and all the gear. It actually works slick and no wear on the fishhouse sled.

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.