Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK General Discussion Forum

James HolstAdministrator

Controlling speed of electric motor

Guys

I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to control the speed of an electric motor. I know, I know... I could reduce the final speed through gears / pulleys... I REALLY don't want to go that route due to space limitations. This motor will be required to turn a very light load. Is there a quick / clean way to have variable speed control on a motor like this one?

web page

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
James Holst
In-Depth Outdoors Pro Staff
In-Depth Outdoors TV - Watch Episodes Online Here!
---------------------

Jesse Krook

Re: Controlling speed of electric motor

I think there a switch that you can get to control the amount of amps or voltage to the motor thus controlling the speed of the motor

This was an interesting bit I found

http://www.instructables.com/community/Speed-Control-for-AC-Electric-Motors/

--------------------
St Croix Valley Walleye League

Jon Jordan

I'd go to Menards and get a variable control switch used for a cieling fan. Looks and works like a dimmer switch.

-J.

brad0383

Quote:

I'd go to Menards and get a variable control switch used for a cieling fan. Looks and works like a dimmer switch.

-J.

Be careful, make sure that it can handle the power requirements. The motor in that link you posted was 828 watts.

Jesse Krook

Quote:

-J.

I dont think that a ceiling fan switch is recommended click on the link I pasted above got some good info for the same question

--------------------
St Croix Valley Walleye League

Francisco de la Rosa IV

I got a call into my Dad. We use to have one with an adjustable speed for roasting pigs. I will see if he can dig it up and get you some specifics.

FDR

--------------------
Francisco de la Rosa IV

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!

James HolstAdministrator

Quote:

Quote:

-J.

Be careful, make sure that it can handle the power requirements. The motor in that link you posted was 828 watts.

I can downsize the motor, too. In all honesty I could get by with a 1/8 hp motor... or maybe even smaller. The load on the motor will be very small.

--------------------
James Holst
---------------------

Nic Habeck

Looking for steps in speed or to have full adjustability from off to full rpm?

What are you using it for?

--------------------
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. ~Author Unknown

James HolstAdministrator

Quote:

Looking for steps in speed or to have full adjustability from off to full rpm?

What are you using it for?

I would prefer to have full adjustability but if I could get speed steps that went from off to slow with SUPER SLOW somewhere in between I'd be a happy guy.

I'm building a turn table for an upcoming studio shoot. We need 360 shots for a particular project we're working on and a SLOWLY rotating turn table would be the ideal solution.

--------------------
James Holst
---------------------

James HolstAdministrator

As long as I have your guy's attention has anyone seen a place where you can buy electric motors smaller than 1/4 hp?

--------------------
James Holst
---------------------

Chris Tuckner

Go to or call Grangers and tell them what you need. They can hook you up with a rheostat or a geared down motor for the job.

Ottomatica

For a cheap solution I think you want a Rheostat. Here's one that can handle up to 3 amps:

Rheostat

PM me, I do motor control for a living (unfortunately not AC motor control) but I should be able to get you where you want to go and have a couple other options that may work for you.

Ottomatica

Quote:

As long as I have your guy's attention has anyone seen a place where you can buy electric motors smaller than 1/4 hp?

Axman will have these pretty cheap. I have a few on hand but they're not AC motors.

Mark Bruzek

they are called rheostats. basically they controll electrical resistance. a dimmerswitch is a rheostat.
Grainger should carry tons of these as Napa and Menards HD and lows will have them for lights.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/rheostat-info.htm

--------------------
"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."

Izaak Walton, 1653

mrwalleye

I have just the thing you need for that
motor with 0-400rpm and a pully on the end for a v-belt.
its a ZERO-MAX
model=E2 power block
12-lbs torque
0-400 rpm
shoot me a PM if you need it

--------------------
NPAA # 276

James HolstAdministrator

Thanks guys.... you've all been a huge help!

--------------------
James Holst
---------------------

Joe Scegura

I finally get to use my engineering knowledge on IDO. James, chucker is close but I don't think you can get just any old variable switch. You'll need a variable solid state switch that's rated for 10 amps and 120 volts. Also you shouldn't run this motor at less than 40% of its rated RPM's or it will generate too much heat. I have a local expert I deal with, he sells all types of motors and motor controls. I can hook you up with him if you have more questions.

--------------------
Joe Scegura - Joe Scegura's Guide Service
"Walleye, Pike, Muskies & Panfish on Alexandria Area Lakes & Mille Lacs!
Ph# 320-260-9056

Kooty

Can't you just get Bk to lay under the table and spin it?

--------------------
I was born in the 70's, grew up in 80's, made my mistakes in 90's now I'm just trying to make up for lost time.

John

Jerry Brink

I'm the furthest from an electrician you'll ever find, but somewhere, sometime back I was in the exact situation. I was told in order to control a motor with a rheostat, your motor needs to be a "shaded pole" motor. Don't ask me what it is, but that's the info I got jerr

Rootski

Quote:

James, here's a link to a surplus place out in California I've dealt with. They have different sized gear motors both AC and DC, maybe they'll have something that will work for you. I've had pretty good luck with these guys on all kinds of stuff including head lamps and flashlights.

Rootski

All Electronics

--------------------
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Nic Habeck

Your going to need some sort of reducer or drive train to mechanically alter RPM. It will not be safe to run that sort of motor for any period of time at the type of speeds you are looking for.

--------------------
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. ~Author Unknown

Chris Tuckner

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is what he was trying to replace.

moreyes

Quote:

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is what he was trying to replace.

Hey hey hey, you guys leave poor BK alone , he is inocent in this post

--------------------
Most of my money is spent on fishing, fishing tackle and boats, the rest is wasted......Thanks Kirt Hedquist
NPAA 292 <'((^)){

T Ellis

James,

Why not look into an electric turntable: Turn Table

It costs $160 and is a complete setup that rotates 2-9 rpm's, can rotate left or right, and supports 125 lbs. It also has variable speeds control and doesn't look too bad.

--------------------
Faith, Family, Friends & Fishing.

James HolstAdministrator

Quote:

James,

Why not look into an electric turntable: Turn Table

It costs $160 and is a complete setup that rotates 2-9 rpm's, can rotate left or right, and supports 125 lbs. It also has variable speeds control and doesn't look too bad.

Tim

I looked on Ebay for something like that and all I found was record players. I ordered that turntable. It will be here in 3 - 5 biz days. What a huge time saver.

--------------------
James Holst
---------------------

T Ellis

Actually Google gets the credit on this one. I thought that might fit the application and the price seemed good. Got to keep that valuable time open for fishing.

--------------------
Faith, Family, Friends & Fishing.

Edited by T Ellis (09/09/09 02:54 PM)

2jranch

I don't think you can use a regular motor as a variable speed motor. You have to have a motor that is capable of being a variable speed and I think that is what is called a "shaded pole" motor. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.