Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK General Discussion Forum

hoistafish1

Trolling motor breakers/inline fuse

I am upgrading from a 12V minnkota to a 24V, my question is what size breaker or inline fuse are to be used? I'm guessing 40A would be plenty, any thoughts?

--------------------
Take a kid fishing...it will definitely make their day!

CatchnRelease

Re: Trolling motor breakers/inline fuse

Do tell what trolling motor model you are switching to.

--------------------
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

hookem

Pretty sure Minnkota recommends a 60 amp breaker for 24 & 36 volt motors. Don't skimp on this or you might regret it.

red89

Go to the outdoor gear forum and type "breaker" in the search. A number of old posts will pop up about wiring terrovas and other trolling motors. I think my dads 80lb. thrust 24v terrova is capable of 55 amps or so. So that is why minn kota has that 60 amp breaker....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0031071017271a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=breaker&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0

85Lund

Just put on a new Terrova 80 with iPilot and I put the Minn Kota 60 amp breaker in. Well worth the 40 bucks to protect my $1500 investment.

--------------------
Russ

AllWalleyes...

hoistafish1

Quote:

Sorry forgot to tell, it's a 70 lb. Maxxum 24V transom mount

--------------------
Take a kid fishing...it will definitely make their day!

Edited by hoistafish1 (04/14/10 09:07 PM)

Hot Runr Guy

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry forgot to tell, it's a 70 lb. Maxxum 24V transom mount

According to my Minn Kota chart, a 70# 24V motor pulls 42 amps at maximum draw, so use at least a quality 50 amp breaker. Here is the same breaker that Minn Kota offers, in a 50amp version, currently listed on Ebay, for $27 including shipping: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HI-AMP-Buss-50Amp-Waterproof-breaker-CB184F-50_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439ea09c07QQitemZ290424134663QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

HRG

walleyehunter83

Hot Runr Guy, whats your chart say for a 55 lbs 12 volt V2 voltage wise.

Hot Runr Guy

Quote:

Hot Runr Guy, whats your chart say for a 55 lbs 12 volt V2 voltage wise.

50amps. Hope this is readable:

1271354936_MKampdraw.jpg

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.