Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK General Discussion Forum

Grouse_Dog

Keeping Mice out of Boats...

Any sure fire ways? - mine is going into a barn this winter....

I keep it clean but I always hear stories.

Dog

Jake47

Re: Keeping Mice out of Boats...

DRYER SHEETS!!!! We store boats in our barn. A lot of people use moth balls which works just as well but their lingering odor is unbearable. Put about 30 sheets in your boat, with at least 1-2 in each compartment and you should be good to go. Haven't had a mouse in any cars or boats with dryer sheets (or moth balls for that matter).

BrianKAdministrator

I've stopped using moth balls since a mouse chewed on a throw cushion that was surrounded by moth balls a few years back.

I was a firm believer in fabric softener dryer sheets until this last year at my camper. They used them for a nest.

I would still use dryer sheets if for only the reason that my boat always smells so fresh in the spring. I still rely on two tin cat mouse trap.

Ps remember glue boards only work in warm weather.

--------------------
Please visit our valued sponsors
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
BrianK's Trophy Cat Fishing and Sturgeon Adventures<<
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

Edited by Briank (11/07/10 08:19 PM)

red89

Barn Cats...

targaman

Mouse traps?

--------------------
Greatness

Troll4it2

I used dryer sheets last year for the first time and the critters had a comfortable winter.

GregStew

Not sure if it works for Mice, But I put up a GOAL POST to keep the Vikings out of mine!!

BrianKAdministrator

Quote:

Not sure if it works for Mice, But I put up a GOAL POST to keep the Vikings out of mine!!

That was terrible.

--------------------
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

smithkeith

I use Cab Fresh in my camper and had good luck. All natural and smells great.

--------------------
If your lucky enough to be at the lake....your lucky enough!!!

shaley

Irish Spring soap, shave some off the bar on some cardboard.

K Andersen

Ivory Soap

BrianKAdministrator

Ps I know Plumbers Putty does NOT work. They like that stuff!

--------------------
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

Basser

I've used cedar balls,father-in-law was taught in motorhome club that to keep mice from getting in to motor homes in storage use cedar .It's worked in my boat for alot of years.

Jeffrey Bennett

Maybe we all need to use our boats all winter.

--------------------
Jeff Bennett - J & B Guided Fishing
Ph. 920-394-3114

smackem

So far moth balls have worked for me. Put them in the compartments and around the wheels and trailer jack so they won't find a place to enter. I put dryer sheets in my ground blinds one year and the mice made nice lil beds for them to sleep and pee in.

Broncosguy

I got this off her a couple years ago...take out all items that they can useto build with (life jackets or throw ables and stuff like that) leave all compartments open, put in 4 rolls of toilet paper, cover and leave be. I had 1 nest the first year, that they made fight in the middle of the floor, then nothing the last 3 years, but mine was stored outside for 2 years,

the 1st year i did in a pole barn I did moth balls and had to actually re-wire my boat as they ate everything in site. after that went to toilet paper for 2 years inside and nothing, then outside storage now.

--------------------
think every day is a Friday that is how I make it through.

broadwaybob

Quote:

DRYER SHEETS!!!! We store boats in our barn. A lot of people use moth balls which works just as well but their lingering odor is unbearable. Put about 30 sheets in your boat, with at least 1-2 in each compartment and you should be good to go. Haven't had a mouse in any cars or boats with dryer sheets (or moth balls for that matter).

X2 Cheap and reasonably decent smelling in the spring. I do this to my camper and have not had any problems. But you do have to remove them from the container first.

--------------------
Keep your tip up!

Bob Plewa

BZZSAW

Give them a map to my cabin. Those &*(%$*$ mice are having a heck of a party up there. I'll even throw in a couple thousand of those asian beetles to keep them company.

Jeff Huberty

Where can a person pick up Cab Fresh?

I met some farmers out in NDak that highly recomend it.

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.