Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK Outdoor Gear Forum

Justin Schneider

Lead Core Rods: Long or Short

Hey Guys,

I am wanting to go with a new lead core rod setup this year, and am wondering what your opininons are for rods. Should I go with a set of short stick such as the 5' Peregrine ones they had down at Evert's, or should I go with the with a longer set of rods, such as a 8'6" or 10'6"?

I know some like the shorties, and some like the long rods, so I am looking for the advantages, and disadvantages of both.

Thanks in Advance

Jason Halfen

Re: Lead Core Rods: Long or Short

I run both, long on the outside and short on the inside. If you plan to run 4 lines, I'd get a pair of each. If you're only going to run two, I'd run long rods. They're better at handling larger fish than the shorties, IMHO.

Jesse Reding

I run a 5 footer and an 8 footer for trolling 4 lines. Either way you decide to go should work fine. When I fish with one rod I prefer the 8 footer, but that is just personal preference

Lenny Jamison

Quote:

I run both, long on the outside and short on the inside. If you plan to run 4 lines, I'd get a pair of each. If you're only going to run two, I'd run long rods. They're better at handling larger fish than the shorties, IMHO.

Yep, what he said!!! The only thing I can add is if you fish alone it can be a little tricky to net a fish on a very long rod.

--------------------
Lenny Jamison
"Gator Hunter"
lenny_jamison@yahoo.com

"You have to fish where they live....must be present to win."

Jeff Krisik

I personally like the shorter rods. The only thing that I don't like so much is if you get a snag they don't have the flex of the long ones....By the way any good deals out there now on rods

--------------------

Dean Marshall

My vote is for the Shortie,especially if fishing alone.

scottb.

I run both now. I purchased a couple shorties last summer, like the ones being sold at Everts and Four Seasons, and was very impressed with them. Last fall on Lake Erie I ran one lead rod(shorty) on the bottom with a crankbait while running spinners up high. The lead line rod accounted for most of the bigger fish and that short 5' rod handled walleyes up to 28" no problem. I would get one of each if you fish the river or places that you can use 2 rods. Don't worry about the shorty handling big fish though, it works just fine.

WHITE TIP

Another question might be is if you are going to hand hold the rod or put it in a holder ?Longer rods spread your set out better & will give you more flex for fighting big fish but will fatigue your arm & wrists if your holding them for any period of time.If your going to hand hold them most of the time the shorter rods might be the way to go.You might consider going middle of the road 7' - 8'6" range if your limited to a couple of rods.Then you would be able to go up or down in length in the future.You never can have too much fishing stuff ! Best of luck. WHITE TIP

Jami Ritter

Quote:

Yup, what Jason said!

Jami

Justin Schneider

Okay guys i figured it out

I have a couple of MH 5'6" Ugly Sticks that I used for Pole Lining Last year that Im gonna convert over to shorty lead core rods.

That means I need 2 Long Rods...What do you suggest? 8'6" or 10'6"? Do I need to drop a ton of money on a pair or will middle of the road rods do?

My thought has always been that I wont gain that much sensitivity by spending an extra $100 on a lead core rod vs. spending that on a pitching rod.

Mike Finke

I run 7'10" Berkley Tactix rods that run $69.95 or 7'9" Fenwick HMX rods that run $99.95. Both work well for lead, mono or braid with or with out boards. They also double nicely and bouncer rods.

--------------------
Mike Finke Outdoors.com/ 612-210-5937
Pure Fishing Ambassador
OutKast Tackle Pro Staff
MnWalleye@aol.com

Jason Halfen

I've been running two different rods in the 8-foot class.

One is the St Croix PGT80MM. The other is the Jason Mitchell 8' trolling rod. Both are telescoping. The Mitchell is nice in that the handle is shorter than usual, so the effective rod length is longer (there is more rod between the reel and the tip because of the shorter handle). Both of these are available for test drives at Everts.

WHITE TIP

Quote:

I've been running two different rods in the 8-foot class.

One is the St Croix PGT80MM. The other is the Jason Mitchell 8' trolling rod. Both are telescoping. The Mitchell is nice in that the handle is shorter than usual, so the effective rod length is longer (there is more rod between the reel and the tip because of the shorter handle). Both of these are available for test drives at Everts.

You could at a later time pick up a couple 10'6" rods & cover a bigger spread.You will likely have as much stuck in the reels as you do in rods unless you buy the $40-$50 models.Would reccomend the line counters for precision trolling & spending a bit more on the higher end models to save yourself $ in the long run.The cheaper models just dont seem to last.

Jason Halfen

I'm actually having Jason Sullivan build me a pair of 12-footers this winter to do just that.

Those will being my leadcore total up to 8 (two 12's, four 8's and two shorties). Anyone in the market for some leadcore gear?

Erick

Quote:

Okay guys i figured it out

I have a couple of MH 5'6" Ugly Sticks that I used for Pole Lining Last year that Im gonna convert over to shorty lead core rods.

That means I need 2 Long Rods...What do you suggest? 8'6" or 10'6"? Do I need to drop a ton of money on a pair or will middle of the road rods do?

My thought has always been that I wont gain that much sensitivity by spending an extra $100 on a lead core rod vs. spending that on a pitching rod.

Hey ya might wanna consider possibly going with the shortie for this reason...you say you have Med,Heavy action rods and with leadcore they are not a good deal I ran some cabelas "leadcore" rods and they were medium heavy action and Jami was with the first day to witness it but those rods sucked big time for leadcore I struggled to see and feel the fight of a 23" PIG sauger out of Pepin needless to say the rods are colecting dust! Would they work..ya probably...but you could struggle seeing a 15" fish on though just a heads up sir

Suzuki

I started long then went short. Easier to get the line out and handle fish. I only fish one leadcore at a time so I have no experience with multi rod setup.

--------------------
Mike

Lenny Jamison

The important thing, especially with a short rod, is to get a rod that have a soft tip yet has enough backbone to handle trolling larger cranks at speeds upwards of 3+ MPH.

Many short rods are very stiff. This will lead to a lot of lost fish.

--------------------
Lenny Jamison
"Gator Hunter"
lenny_jamison@yahoo.com

"You have to fish where they live....must be present to win."

Gary

For the most part, a guy wants a moderate to slow action on these rods, right?

--------------------
G-

Mark Steffes

Quote:

The important thing, especially with a short rod, is to get a rod that have a soft tip yet has enough backbone to handle trolling larger cranks at speeds upwards of 3+ MPH.

Many short rods are very stiff. This will lead to a lot of lost fish.

Lenny what about when you are cruising around 6 MPH

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.