Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK General Discussion Forum

Walleyebuster

Sand in my washing machine-any help?

We have a middle of the road washing machine and 2 times in the past few weeks my wife finds sand all over her cloths. like lots. I've used it plenty in between with no problems. Any ideas why this is happening? Anything I should look for on the machine or in the utility room that may help me diagnose this problem? Thanks!

--------------------
-The more you know, the more you want to know-

Buck Slayer

Re: Sand in my washing machine-any help?

Your well is pumping up sand. may need to install a filter

StuWest

if you've got city water, it shouldn't be.
but if you've got country water, you can have sediment in your incoming. I had to put a sediment filter on mine and empty every time i start to get it in the machine. The filter works well.

--------------------
Stu West
Women and Cats will do as they please.
Men and Dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert Heinlein

Walleyebuster

We live in the country and put in a water treatment system in about a year ago (house is 2 years old).

--------------------

BrianKAdministrator

You aren't washing any new "stone washed" blue jeans are you?

--------------------
Please visit our valued sponsors
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
BrianK's Trophy Cat Fishing and Sturgeon Adventures<<
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

RKD-Jim

Quote:

We live in the country and put in a water treatment system in about a year ago (house is 2 years old).

I'm guessing the "water treatment system" is a softner/ironcurtain system. I don't think that type of system would eliminate sand being pumped in unless you have a specific filter. Is it a 2 yr old well also?? If so it sounds like your casing isn't deep enough. Not a well driller but that's my guess.

--------------------
GOD MADE MAN BEFORE WOMAN SO AS TO GIVE HIM TIME TO THINK OF AN ANSWER FOR HER FIRST QUESTION

Walleyebuster

Quote:

You aren't washing any new "stone washed" blue jeans are you?

Ha, well,I am but that has nothing to do with it! See, I thought my kids were secretly filling their pockets with sand but either they are all liers or it's coming from somewhere else.. Odd thing is that I haven't noticed it anywhere else. Maybe I'll ask the kids again.

RKD-that system was put in for iron and water smell. You could be right..

--------------------

deertracker

Do you have a whole house water filter right after your pressure tank?

--------------------
"But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them. After that I will send for many hunters, and they will hunt them down on every mountain and hill and from the crevices of the rocks.
Jeremiah 16:16

John 3:16

More than likely it's resin beads from your water softner, it looks like sand.

Have your water softner checked out.

John 3:16

Also make sure your have hose screens for your fill hoses.

hairjig

Maybe Andy Dupree from Shaw Shank Redemption has been secretly visiting your utility room, unloading his "tailings" in the machine ?????

Walleyebuster

Quote:

Maybe Andy Dupree from Shaw Shank Redemption has been secretly visiting your utility room, unloading his "tailings" in the machine ?????

Ya know,, that could be!

I think I may have figured it out.. After much thoughts,there seems to be a pattern of sand after washing the door rugs.. We'll see how this plays out!

--------------------

Fishn Dan

Sounds like throw rugs would be a strong possibility. Maybe suggest that they get SHAKEN OUT before they get washed.

Something else to look at is if you have a tank-type water heater, catch some water in a bucket from the "flush valve" on the bottom of the tank. You'll see if it's sand or filter media, and besides it helps the life and efficiency of the water heater to flush any sediment out of it periodicly.

Good luck.

Dan

Edited by Bassn Dan (05/03/11 02:24 PM)

AllenW

fwiw Rugs can be hard on washers, you have a laundrymat close by??

Al

--------------------
Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.