Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK General Discussion Forum

Brian J

Boat Ramp stories - let's hear them

It's that time of year again....let's hear about the people you've seen at the ramp. Anyone who launches in the MN metro area knows what I'm talking about.

I think one of the best ones I ever saw was a guy a few years ago at the ford dam ramp on P2 putting his license stickers on his boat while he was on the ramp

Other classics include:
Waiting to load everything once you're on the ramp
Taking the cover off on the ramp
Leaving the back straps on (we've all been there)

mplspug

Re: Boat Ramp stories - let's hear them

I took three runs at the trailer at Hidden Falls with my nephews boat before giving up and letting him. I didn't feel like dinging up his boat or trailer.

--------------------
WWMCD? WWRSD?

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
― Albert Einstein

MNCSA #7

Dr Death

It's truly amazing how some people can function with such a severe case of H.U.T.A.

--------------------
keep the wind at your back & always keep your powder dry

Jerry Brink

Not to be telling tales outta school, but I know first hand my 1890BT will float the trailer makes ya look around to see who's watching. jerr

p4walleye

Felt bad for all of these...

1. Saw a guy pull out of the water and run his sailboat mast smack into a tree- basically ripped it out of the boat.

2. Saw a gentlemans boat roll off of his roller trailer onto the concrete of the boat ramp.

3. Oahe- gentleman tried loading on windblown side of dock- swell lifted his brand new crestliner up- windshield caught on dock pole, ripped it off, as the back of his boat was filled with next swell pulling it off the trailer and into the water. Sunk. right next to dock.

Drew H.

Trying to run the gas out of carb by running back and forth while I was waiting to trailor my boat. Repairing motor blocking launching lane.

--------------------
There are two kinds of people in this world "Givers and Takers" "How can I help you"

DFresh

Saw a guy at Long Lake in New Brighton pull a 16 foot Lund out with a mid-90s Cavalier.

--------------------
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Mike G

Rainy River...Vidas Ramp...busy!!! long line of boats waiting to put in...BRAND new Lund with perfect paint match to nice looking truck...owner struts around rig in admiration....owner jumps in boat and waves driver back......BRAND new Lund with perfectly matching paint to nice truck slowly rolls off new trailer onto the ramp, a mere 5' short of the river...dual transducers don't make it...nor does owners ego.... proud owner proceeds to yell, scream and have a tantrum of epic proportion...owner seems to think the driver of the nice truck with matching paint job to boat is to blame...driver turns out to be his wife.....well, was his wife Never felt more embarrassed for a lady as that day.

Mike G

Quote:

Not to be telling tales outta school, but I know first hand my 1890BT will float the trailer makes ya look around to see who's watching. jerr

lol, tried to do that with an Alumacraft... didn't quite get trailer off the ramp.

onestout

Wait until july, it gets a lot better when the summer boaters come out.

--------------------
2011 SCVWL Champion
2011 River Rat Biggest Walleye

bigcrappie

How about the guy that thinks he needs to back his roller trailer as far into the water as posable, and can not figure why his boat will not load propperly.

Mike West

Quote:

Oh yeh, my 620 floated my trailer, and with ease. I didn't have time to look around to see who was watching, there were people on both sides of landing and a few waiting to get in. Liberty beach morning of an MTT Event.
Oh how those moments can make one feel so small... or really Dumb

Out_Fishing

I was at the ramp yesterday and someone forgot to trim up their motor he dug a trench for 15 yards until he stopped to put the straps on.

On the other hand I did not screw anything up loading and unloading so I didnt laugh too hard figuring it should have been me.

Paulski

Hard to admit, but I get my boat in, and then while it warms up, I take the minnow bucket out and proceed to dump the minnows into the bait well with no bucket inside. I think it took my fishing partner about 5 minutes to stop laughing at me for that one, as I sit there looking at the empty minnow bucket thinking to myself " why in god's green earth did I do that "...

--------------------
" Government is like a baby ... An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other "

Ronald Reagan

Brian J

Alright I have another one, and this one is great because it was my brother-in-law so I have the back story, I got called in after it was all over to clean up the mess. The guy has almost no boating experience but decides he needs to go out and buy the biggest rig his credit will afford. I offered to teach him how to load and launch it (as a public service so we all dont get stuck behind him some day) but he declines my offer. Had he taken my offer one of the things I would have told him is unless youre certain the boat will start do not take it off the trailer until its running.

So off to the lake his goes for the maiden voyage, puts his wife (my sister) in the boat, backs the new 20 deck boat in and not only does he not even try to start it while its on the trailer he doesnt even wait to see if it starts before he jumps in the truck and high tails it out of there to park the truck 2 blocks down the road. So theres my sister in the boat in the lake with the wind blowing her towards a bridge, as shes turning the key nothing is happening, so what does she do, turns the key harder and harder until it the whole key assembly rips apart. Luckily a passerby tows her back to the dock. Turns out that when they picked the boat up the night before they were sitting in it in the driveway listening to the radio, left it on all night and the battery was stone cold dead. I got there just in time to hear them argue about whose fault that was.

They ended up finding a replacement ignition which I installed right there at the dock (out of the way of the boat ramp of course) and we made it out in the water. Funny thing was - their dead 20 boat was tied up at the dock right next to another boat full of a wife and daughters that couldnt get theirs started either. I was helping them also and when the husband showed up, I tried to brief him on the situation and he told me no that wasnt the problem and basically yelled at me to get off his boat. An hour later when he had his boat running (I was right and he was wrong about what the problem was BTW) I asked him for a jump start and he said no.

All in all that was a pretty interesting day, and looking back pretty funny.

BrianKAdministrator

One minute the ramp is there...the next minute...

--------------------
Please visit our valued sponsors
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
BrianK's Trophy Cat Fishing and Sturgeon Adventures<<
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

BrianKAdministrator

What the??...

--------------------
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

Desperado

toy hauler ? ... drop down rear door ? ... boat inside ?

DFresh

Evert's new houseboat?

--------------------
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

BrianKAdministrator

Marty Hahn...turning around...

From 12/10/08

Just before 8 this morning I drove down the hill and spotted a boat in the river. It didn't look right, I thought. Straining somewhat, I looked hard to see an operator.

Either there wasn't anyone in the boat or I thought someone may have fallen onto the floor with a heart attack or just as bad, fell out of the boat.
I was relieved to find the owner on shore. He said his winch rope broke and it just drifted into the main channel.

Might want to check your winch lines and hook connections for fraying. Doesn't hurt to use your life jacket to help keep you warm on the river as well!

Good Catch'en!

--------------------
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

Jeff Huberty

OAHE... I pulled a drunk native american out of the water who had fallen head first between the dock and my boat.

BrianKAdministrator

When leaving the tongue wheel down...always latch the trailer on to the ball.

It's not a good feeling watching the boat and trailer going down the ramp un attached.

Trust me on this.

--------------------
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

BrianKAdministrator

PS Without a picture, it's just a boat ramp story.

--------------------
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

Jesse Krook

Quote:

It's not a good feeling watching the boat and trailer going down the ramp un attached.

Trust me on this.

--------------------
St Croix Valley Walleye League

Rootski

Saw two guys at the 494 access trying to launch a little 12 foot V-hull out of the back of an old Chevy pickup. The boat was in the bed of the truck and they had backed in far enough to float it out of there. The truck exhaust was going "blub-blub-blub". All that for a 100# boat.

I got out last Friday. Backed in, unhooked the winch, and hooked up the rope and gave it a test yank before I let the boat roll off the trailer. The rope snapped in two right in my face. Without the test yank my boat would have been on the way to Hastings without me

Rootski

--------------------
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Ben Olson

When I am an old man and have more time than anything else, I am going to spend my saturday afternoons drinking beer and watching people launch their boats. I could not think of a more entertaining time.

--------------------
There is hope for tomorrow, if we wake up today.

Also known as Ben the Snap-on Guy

StuWest

goll, this one not even I have done...

--------------------
Stu West
Women and Cats will do as they please.
Men and Dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert Heinlein

PasseG

Was at Wabasha ramp several years ago at about 7:00 am and there was a truck running, door open with its trailer in the water sitting there. I put my boat in and got ready to leave and a locallady who was at the boat launh with a crew team came up to me and said that the truck had been there when she got there over an hour ago.

I assume this individual just launched there boat and never came back. I pulled the truck in a spot and left. I bet the person never new what occured. I wanted to leave a note but no pen was found in the truck.
I have been in a hurry but never that much.

Ralph Wiggum

PasseG...awesome!!!

--------------------
~Ryan (my name is not really Ralph Wiggum )

StuWest

I'd leave my truck running at the ramp HOPING someone would drive away with it...

--------------------
Stu West
Women and Cats will do as they please.
Men and Dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert Heinlein

BrianKAdministrator

One of my friends at Everts. No, I was not involved in this one.

--------------------
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

BrianKAdministrator

From a Dan Larson post in '05.

694 and East River Road. It's still a mystery as to why the SUV is in the water first.

--------------------
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

Ralph Wiggum

What annoys me is people who fish or swim at public boat ramp and then act like I'm a jerk because I expect them to move for a few minutes so that I can launch my boat.

Two years ago, I backed in ran over some guys basket of sunfish that he tied to the ramp-side of the dock. How was I supposed to know that was there?

I don't care if people want to use the boat launch for fishing and/or swimming, but it's a boat launch...get outta the way when a boat needs to use it!

--------------------
~Ryan (my name is not really Ralph Wiggum )

DFresh

BK - that 694 ramp is bad, but not THAT bad!

Ryan - I agree. I also hate it when people park cars in the trailer spots at one local lake to use the fishing pier. There are car parking spots 30 feet further away...

--------------------

phishirman

Quote:

Quote:

Trust me on this.

Best one I got was watching a family do this intentionally at the ramp with a runabout.

BrianKAdministrator

Umm...what makes you think I didn't do it on purpose??

I like that story better then my first one. I'm sticking to it.

--------------------
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

Wallgeye

Several years ago, public ramp near Isle, MN a buddy and I were next in line to launch. While waiting for the truck to clear the ramp and before we could move into posistion a 16ft tiller pulled along the dock and one of the guys got out to retrieve his truck. At first I thought he would get the truck then get in line and wait his turn. Well, the guy still in the boat just sits there right over the ramp holding onto the dock. By now, we had backed down close to the water and I finally ask the guy if he could move so boats could continue launching.

He argues it is their turn, I reply his buddy should be getting into the back of the line and wait his turn and he should move the boat out of the way so other people can continue to unload, and that the boats already in the water were waiting their turn and he was jumping line ahead of them also. I get a few mumbles under his breath I could not hear and he pulls himself to the back corner of the dock and to my amazement steps off the BOW of the boat onto the dock. You know what happens next, the boat goes one way and after doing splits no man in his 60's should do he ends up in the drink, nothing but his red man baseball cap visible!

I look in disbelief as he slowly surfaces looking PO'd beyond belief, I hop out of the boat and offer a hand, which he refuses. One of the other boats that were waiting their turn to put in, who these two butted in front of also, retrieved the boat that had drifted off and my buddy moved out of the way to allow these "TIMMY!'s" to get out and get the guy into a warm truck. "It was late Oct. water not too warm!"

Brian J

Quote:

a 16ft tiller pulled along the dock and one of the guys got out to retrieve his truck. At first I thought he would get the truck then get in line and wait his turn. Well, the guy still in the boat just sits there right over the ramp holding onto the dock.

Another classic move, I had a guy do that to me once while I was idling in front of the ramp with the boat and my friend was backing the truck down.

BrianKAdministrator

Is it ok to use names?

Prescott landing.

Chappy parks the truck for me while I wait from him in the boat idling around. He walks to the edge of the dock as I'm pulling up.

There was a strong back current which made me drift up stream and away from the dock. I said "Just a minute Chap" and hit reverse to get closer to the dock.

Unfortunately, Chappy didn't hear me and leaped from the dock to the bow of my boat...that was no longer with in leaping distance.

The good thing was it was warm enough to dry him off before he landed his 11 pound walleye.

The best part is to this day, Chappy still thinks it was an accident!

Pictured below is one of the three invasive species he caught that night while fishing for flatheads. Joke was on me.

--------------------
Team Catfish
CheapSinkers.com
2013 Photo Gallery<<
MNCSA #1 NPAA #108

Desperado

"If there's no photos, it didn't really happen"

This is one of those rare instances where that adage can be used to my advantage.

chomps

not really a boat ramp story as much as a test drive story, but a old buddy (Joe) wanted the biggest cabin cruiser on Okoboji, so ice just came off the lake and his salesperson has him over for a test drive. They go out on a bit of a cruise and are pulling into the slip with a bit of a cross wind, Joe sees they are getting blown off course so he gives it a bit of gas, well...too much gas. He bounces off the pier damaging the boat they were testing, sending the sales person overboard, while Joe was looking for the sales person (was thinking he got chewed up in the prop) the boat went into the neighbor's cruiser and runs a huge anchor rub all the way down the side! Salesperson pops up under the docks (almost frozen). Joe felt so bad he had no choice but to buy the cruiser. Oh yeah, I've also tested the capacity of the rear trailer straps!!!!

--------------------
Pete-Dude! It's Beef!

CAT STEVENS

Quote:

2. Saw a gentlemans boat roll off of his roller trailer onto the concrete of the boat ramp.

I think I know that guy and here is his story;

I was putting boat in at one of the local reservoirs with a pretty long and steep ramp. Being the rookie boater I was I unhooked the safety chain from my boat and proceeded to back down the ramp. Halfway down I decided to come to a stop, but my boat didn't. Winch gave out, and boat rolled off the trailer in quite the quick fashion.Luckily it didn't come completely off the trailer, and I was able to crank it up pretty easily. Boat now has a nice indentation on the bottom, but it could have been worse. Since this is a electric motor only body of water, I had my gas motor trimmed up fully. I think there could have been much more damage done had it been down even halfway.Lesson learned; NEVER unhook my safety chain until trailer is in water.

--------------------
I would be drinking, but I have a fishing problem

lhprop1

Quote:

When I am an old man and have more time than anything else, I am going to spend my saturday afternoons drinking beer and watching people launch their boats. I could not think of a more entertaining time.

Why wait until you get old? I think I'm going to pack up the cooler and grab a lawn chair and head down to the ramp for some fun. I'll be sure to bring my megaphone so the comments from the peanut gallery can be heard by all.

--------------------
Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

mplspug

I hate people who park in trailer spots when the lot is full or nearly full too. I don't mind as much when it isn't busy, obviously. But it doesn't take a genius to figure out the lines in a launch ramp that are twice as long indicate a spot for a vehicle and trailer only.

--------------------
WWMCD? WWRSD?

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
― Albert Einstein

MNCSA #7

red89

Best story I have is when I was lauching on Bear Trap (wapogasset) one day with my buddy and the axle broke off on the driver side from the tire getting stuck in a crack in the concrete landing. Boat was above the water sitting on the tire and we had to get help to push it off into the water.

Had to park boat at a person's dock, go home get a flat bed. Drive back up to Wapo, load the boat trailer and ripped off axle on flat bed. Drive to buddy's dads shop to have him weld the axle back on. Then drive back up with empty boat trailer.

We get to the dock where we parked the boat, and it was sunk from the waves crashing up over the transom.

Grouse_Dog

I always like the HUAT sitting in the boat channels, fishing, where they are in the only navigation path - it is not "no wake". Rocks to the left and shore to the right.
You are between "the cans"

Then they get a PO'd at you when your run your boat by them, on plane, when they are in the way.

Amazing to me, every year on a 220,000,000 acre lake and they have to fish in the channel.

Like a kid playing on the Interstate.

Dog

Rootski

Quote:

I hate people who park in trailer spots when the lot is full or nearly full too. I don't mind as much when it isn't busy, obviously. But it doesn't take a genius to figure out the lines in a launch ramp that are twice as long indicate a spot for a vehicle and trailer only.

I had a Dakota County parks guy take the last available trailer spot at the 494 access right in front of me a couple of years ago. I had the boat in the water and now no place to park the truck. He tried to blow me off like he was on official business (it was Memorial day weekend). I think he learned several new words and phrases that day. Anyway there was single car parking about 50 feet away so he really didn't have any excuse.

--------------------
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Grouse_Dog

Rainy Lake Fun.....Bunks, Glass and 10 degrees!!!!

1336416196_SorelyontheRampAgain.JPG

lhprop1

Quote:

I always like the HUAT sitting in the boat channels, fishing, where they are in the only navigation path - it is not "no wake".
Dog

(w)HUAT?

--------------------

Grouse_Dog

I fondly remember the day I pulled up with my boat - to a Minneapolis City Ramp and a guy was parked in the ramp, looking at the lake....no trailer, facing the water.

I walk up and I politely ask him to move and he says " I was here first "

I just walked away - shaking my head.

Grouse_Dog

HUA Team

1336417326_0601-0171.gif

Edited by Grouse_Dog (05/07/12 02:03 PM)

kruger

The funniest thing Ive seen at a boat ramp was about two yrs ago up near a smaller bemidji lake, and an older man with Im assuming was his grandson pulled into a parking space with the boat and just sat there. About 5mins later they get out and the older man starts telling the kid how they need to go through their "pre-unloading routine". After all the checking the older guy leans over the side and says to the kid. "Make sure you always let her get warm before you put her in. It helps with speeding things up at the ramp." He then continues to climb into the boat and start the engine. He then lets it idle for 2min and backs it in. This was an older 40hp johnson...The amount of black smoke coming from that motor was quite the site. He did get the boat in the water and sped off like nothing was wrong

--------------------
If people focused on whats important in life there would be a shortage of fishing rods.

I believe you should always give 99% that way there is always room to get better

Mike W

Thats funny. Have tried unloading mine a few times with the straps still on. Seem to happen at least once every summer. Most times I catch it right away. One early morning I must of backed in and out a half dozen times before figuring what was going on. Must not of had my coffee that morning.

--------------------
Mike Westman -612-501-7089
www.HomeTownplumbing.net
Guided Walleye trips on Pool 2

Grouse_Dog

I like the time I was running late for a tournament and we would normally just back in, let her float and jump into someone elses boat and they give you a ride over -

Well, nobody was left when I walked down - after parking my truck and trailer. Fun swim to start the day.

Round 2 - put her in - plug not in - had to jump into the water and screw the plug in as we were waiting for blast off. Another refreshing start.

Mike - no need for coffee after those donkey moves.

Dog

Edited by Grouse_Dog (05/07/12 02:08 PM)

Mike W

Did have the rope break on me one morning and sent the boat drifting out into the river. A quick down to the skivvies and in the water to go retrieve it. Being it was oct didnt make this real fun. Hanging out at the Lilydale ramp in your skivvies is not a good idea either.

--------------------
www.HomeTownplumbing.net

lhprop1

Quote:

Hanging out at the Lilydale ramp in your WET skivvies is not a good idea either.

It probably wasn't a very fun experience for the other people at ramp, either.

--------------------

The Famous Grouse

Quote:

Yep, perfect way to show why talking about other people's head-up-buttski moves at the ramp is calling down a whole heap of bad ju-ju onto you-know-who.

Another forum member, KWP, and I were fishing a small metro-area lake with my boat. I backed in at the ramp and he floated the boat off no problem.

When I was pulling out, it felt like the trailer had dropped off that last concrete "step" and was hung up a little. You know what I mean.

So I gunned it just a little and the trailer came free so I started driving to the parking area. And KWP screams STOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!.

I stopped, got out, and the only thing that was behind my truck was 4 feet of the trailer tongue. The rest of the trailer was completely out of sight.

We just stood there in stunned silence. I mean, the freaking trailer was GONE. Broke right at the tilt pin and who knows how far toward the bottom of the lake it rolled before it stopped?

Then this 10 year old kid who was fishing off the dock come walking up, and he stands beside us and kind of assesses the situation. Then he looks at me and KWP, then looks back at the ramp where the bubbles are still rising from the great blue abyss where the majority of my trailer now resides.

Then he looks back at us, shakes his head, and says, "This isn't good, guys."

Screwing up at the ramp = bad.

Having a 10 year old that you don't even know start punking you about it = priceless.

I thought we handled the situation pretty well, though. We gave the kid a huge snuggie and threw him off the dock.

Grouse

Mike W

--------------------
www.HomeTownplumbing.net

Grouse_Dog

Top -

1.) Wife and Husband backing the boat into the water. Wife gets yelled at husband, parks the boat and tells guys what a A-Hole her man is.

2.) One Truck Trailer in two launch spots at a very busy ramp.

3.) Take off cover and straps in the access

4.) Tie boat or beach boat in the access, after it is off the trailer

5.) Can't back trailer into access

6.) Drive off with a trailer full of AIS. ( Milfoil ) Smashed up under the boat and bunks - that was amazing one time.

7.) Launch boat, cant get it started and stay in landing for 45 mins - cranking the motor - I walk up and hook up kill switch for him.

8.) Wash boat in landing

9.) Back boat and trailer into water with small vehicle. Goes off fine - can't get it out at the end of the day.

10.) Me - fishing in early November on Mille Lacs - put in at 40 degrees and windy. Had the old 2 - wheel drive F-150 and a Pro-V. Get back at 3 AM - boat ramp has had heavy spray and wave action all evening. Now 25 degrees. Too slippery.

Nightmare....

Dog

Brian J

To anyone who wants to pull up a chair and watch, I HIGHLY recommend the grays bay ramp on Minnetonka on a nice summer day. The launch docks have signs that say do not tie up here, AND no tie up cleats AND there are very nice cleated bumper-ed tie up docks 50 feet away. And what do people do.....yep, tie up at the launch docks.

you cant tie up here
Im just going to park my truck

munyon2 Not Used

Best one I saw was a Ford Tempo trying to pull a tri-toon out of the water at State Park landing on Lake Wissota. I would like to be his tire salesman. Lots of black marks all over the landing.

--------------------
Set the Hook!!!

fish any time

Here are a couple from the 2008 Opener at Fisher's. Can't see it in these pictures, but the trailer is still attached to the truck.

1336423704_IMG_0072.JPG1336423721_IMG_0073.JPG
1336423704_IMG_0072.JPG

The Famous Grouse

Quote:

The good news is that asshats who do this often enough WILL pay the price.

I saw a car on Minnetonka a few years back that was parked right in the middle of a trailer parking place on a weekend. He had 4 flat tires and the note under his windshield wiper contained some pretty interesting ideas, most of which involved things that I previously believed to be anatomically impossible. The rest involved his mother.

On White Bear last summer, I was just pulling out and there was a line of guys launching and some bicyclists pulled in and parked right in the middle of a trailer spot and started to get their bikes off the racks to go ride the trail.

I went up to them and calmly explained that this was trailer parking and it's very limited, could they please use the lot 100 feet to the south, etc. They looked like those kind of ex-hippie wannabies, driving a Volvo, Wellstone sticker still on the bumper, etc. And they guy starts giving me crap, I can park where I want to, etc.

I said whatever, just telling you that bad [censored] can happen, and then I hear this kind of tough looking character with lots of tattoos who was waiting to launch a wakeboard boat yells, "Hey! You with the Volvo!" And he and his equally tattooed buddy come charging over.

"Dude, you're not even thinking about parking there in that trailer spot and going for a bike ride are you?"

From the way he said it, even Mr. Granola got the idea that the correct answer was, "Heck no, we were just leaving." Luckily for him he said and did just that or he'd have found his Grocery Getter sitting on that now not-so-sunken island 100 yards off the boat ramp when he got back.

Grouse

Walleyebuster

I LOVE the kill switch boaters! Even though I've been caught trying to figure it out for myself from time to time I can completely understand why the boater cannot figure out why it's not starting! We've all been there. Every time I approach that I ask "can I try to help with your problem?" and flip the switch and it starts. I kinda feel like a doctor that just instantly fixed a broken leg or something THat's happed probly a half dozen times.

--------------------
-The more you know, the more you want to know-

gizmoguy

How about when you get to the launch and there is a truck or car parked in the ramp with their trailer still in the water. Nobody around. Thats where they parked.

Denny O

Brian you must have ironed his new T-shirt as well! Glad to hear he was "ka&tn" on ya!

--------------------
Member, Central Iowa Anglers

Basser

Well ,sometimes we get alittle excited about the water and forget about how to get boats in and out. I had a friend who was blind and loved to fish on Bald Eagle. His wife also loved to fish and had no problems with getting boat to lake and driving it, EXCEPT she couldn't get hang of backing up trailer into lake. So he would do it. I had to watch it to believe it myself... He would look straight ahead and his wife would guide him back . Then he'd get out and open his cane and walk to boat. He told me one time a gentleman watched him and asked him to back up his boat because he couldn't get hang of it. Well don't forget to put drain plugs in before putting in water.... Be safe and leave some fish for meeee.

fishdale

Quote:

Hanging out at the Lilydale ramp in your skivvies is not a good idea either.

Guy unhooks boat from truck at Lillydale.
Pulls truck around to jump boat, boat finally starts.
Pulls truck back to rehook up trailer.
Gets in boat and has wife back boat in.
Must have been 5+ minutes boat running out of water.
Once wife is in boat they run downriver.

I have seen people on that ramp with a lot less on than that. Memorial day a couple years ago middle of the after noon the guy with the house boat that was parked there all summer was walking around on his boat with nothing but a smile. I had 3 kids at the launch and tried to ignore this which worked until one kid saw it and yelled to the other. That guy has no clothes!

Guy backs truck in so far water floods in front door. His buddy proceeds to try to power land the boat on the trailer with a front mounted trolling motor at full speed.

Edited by fishdale (05/08/12 06:20 AM)

fireline

Lake City ramp by old scout camp .Low water, guy with 4-wheel drive backs boat into lake and has two ladys friend or what ever hold the rope .Then goes to pull the trailer out but it won't come trys 4 or 5 times and still won't come so puts it in 4-wheel and backs in as far as he can and gives her hell . Trailer comes this time BUT one wheel faceing North and the other faceing South . All he would have has to do is lift the trailer off the end of the apron .Oh well boats in the water lets go boating .

Sgt. Rock

Not a boat launch story but just as funny. Had a call from a neighbor asking if I could go to their house and get spare key for the car. Thinking oh they locked themselves out. Nope better yet. Could I go to the Rochester airport and park the car for them in the lot. They had pulled up to the airport entrance, got on the plane and left with the car out front. Called me from Mpls. This was before the 9/11 high security days. Guy at the airport laughed when I pulled up to move it. He said they wondered what was up with it.

--------------------
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.

Crossin Eyes

This is going to fall into the "you had to be there" category, but I have to tell it anyway. One Memorial Day weekend at a small lake north of Grand Rapids, my brother in law and I went to launch the boat on Friday morning. It's a very small access with only roadside parking. We get there behind a middle aged couple with a small boat. The guy gets out of his truck. He's big. Like 6'5" and 280-300 big. His wife gets out. She's 5'3" and 120 wringing wet. She puts on the waders, and he reaches in and puts on white gloves. No shizzle. 25 mph crosswind at the access. He backs in and hands her the rope. The 16 ft lund with 25 hp motor hits the water and takes off in the wind and literally drags her behind it. All the while Mr. White Gloves is on shore telling her what to do. Unreal.
We were at the lake all weekend.
Fast forward to Monday morning. It's pouring rain and we have to go load the boat. I take the boat, and B-I-L takes the truck. I get across the small lake to the access only to find that Mr. White Gloves has beaten us to the punch. Once again, he is at the winch, this time holding an umbrella and Momma is in the water with the boat. Did I mention it was pouring??
I'm reasonably certain that he's dead and she's in prison now...

chomps

here's from last summer, Francis Case in South Dakota, the boat ramp actually starts five feet to the left of that light post. This was an interesting boat launch to say the least.

1336490339_boatramp.jpg

--------------------
Pete-Dude! It's Beef!

Ben Olson

Prescott has looked like that a time or two.

--------------------
There is hope for tomorrow, if we wake up today.

Also known as Ben the Snap-on Guy

mrjigger

I watched a woman back a boat in as her husband sat in the boat. She got out and he hollered for her to unhook the boat... all of a sudden I see the tounge of the trail tip up, roll back, and the guy catches himself on the motor before he fell out the back. I ran over and she had unhooked the trailer... Sure glad they had the safety chains on! There is nothing better than sitting at the launch with a six pack on the fourth of July.... it's better than the fire works!

--------------------
The true test of a man's character is what he does when he knows he won't get caught.

mrjigger

I pulled up to the landing early one morning to see a John Deere tractor sitting in the landing right up to the drivers seat... The owner was standing on the dock scratching his head. I thought maybe he assumed it was a road and couldn't tell he was driving in the water (tractor had one dim light). I unhooked the boat, chained up to the 3pt and pulled him out. After it was out of the way, I figured out what he was doing... He had live trapped a skunk and was trying to drown it! A 22 short would have been much easier!

--------------------
The true test of a man's character is what he does when he knows he won't get caught.

lhprop1

Quote:

I watched a woman back a boat in as her husband sat in the boat. She got out and he hollered for her to unhook the boat... all of a sudden I see the tounge of the trail tip up, roll back, and the guy catches himself on the motor before he fell out the back. I ran over and she had unhooked the trailer... Sure glad they had the safety chains on!

Something tells me that may not have been an accident. I know that if I sat in the boat and told my wife to back it in and unhook it while I sat there on my duff, I could expect the same or worse.

--------------------

lambeau

as we pulled up to the landing for a tournament last year we see a small commotion. we hop out of the truck and see this beauty, followed by "We need help!" yes, yes you do.

the boat owner may or may not have been the father of a certain well known "Lucky" muskie fisherwoman.

1336527902_IMG_20110909_064528.jpg1336527930_IMG_20110909_064741.jpg1336527943_IMG_20110909_064728.jpg
1336527902_IMG_20110909_064528.jpg

--------------------
Michael C. Winther

Timschmitz

the boat owner may or may not have been the father of a certain well known "Lucky" muskie fisherwoman.

If you've ever talked to him you'd be really surprised if this was his first time doing this.

munyon2 Not Used

One time at a landing on Castle Rock Flowage 3 guys were putting in a sailboat. A 24 footer. 1 guy on each side of the boat and the driver inside a full size van backing it in. Here's the kicker, all 3 guys had handheld walkie talkies and all 3 were talking at once in some language I couldn't understand and didn't want to know. All a guy can do sometimes is shake his head and laugh.

--------------------
Set the Hook!!!

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.