Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK Ice Fishing Forum

Timmy

Strikemaster auger issue - plastic handles........

Fished this weekend with a good friend. He has a 1-yr old Stikemaster with the molded plastic handles. Well, while traveling across the ice, he hit an unforeseen snowdrift. His sled (an older Elan) and otter sled both flew about 3 feet or so in the air. It was a sight to see. He bounced off the Elan upon impact, and tumbled without injury....and his otter appeared to be fine, so he re-saddled and continued on. Upon getting home, we discovered that both of those plastic handles on the auger were sheared off........His otter sled is none the worse for wear, not a mark on it.

Why on earth would they go to those handles instead of reliable steel? This is the 2nd one I know of this season that this has happened to - and the first one was not even the result of hitting anything - just from the rattling/bouncing of regular travel.

Has anybody else had this problem? My SM Lazer is 16 yrs old and been pounded in the otter sled many, many miles and is none the worse for wear.....why on earth would they change to plastic handles

Tim

--------------------
I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

RKD-Jim

Re: Strikemaster auger issue - plastic handles........

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ...........and probably lighter weight

--------------------
GOD MADE MAN BEFORE WOMAN SO AS TO GIVE HIM TIME TO THINK OF AN ANSWER FOR HER FIRST QUESTION

Timmy

Quote:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ...........and probably lighter weight

Of course they make the auger lighter.....at least after they fall off......

Tim

--------------------
I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Scott Steil

For the most part the composit handles are very strong. I broke one 3 years ago when the auger flew off the sled at a high rate of speed. But, that is the only one I have broken since they changed to these handles.

Take the broken handle into SM. It takes them 2 minutes to change it out and you will be back on the road. If you are nice about it, they will pick up the tab

James HolstAdministrator

Not sure why the change. I've not had any issues with them myself. My guess is Strikemaster will fix the auger even though it was damaged in a sledding accident that obviously falls outside the bounds of reasonable wear and tear.

As for that type of sledding accident... I did the same thing up on LOTW last day of the GTG. Jay and I shot about 3 feet into the air and the sled kept going straight until it costed gracefully to a stop. Jay and I were not so graceful.

--------------------
James Holst
In-Depth Outdoors Pro Staff
In-Depth Outdoors TV - Watch Episodes Online Here!
---------------------

Bret Clark

Quote:

Jay and I shot about 3 feet into the air and the sled kept going straight until it costed gracefully to a stop. Jay and I were not so graceful.

How come this kind of stuff doesn't get caught on video

--------------------
I carry a gun because a cop is to heavy.

Matt Grow

I'm going to start carrying one when I'm with holst.
It wasn't a thing of beauty

Timmy

James - for the record, my friends spill was also less than graceful....and worthy of a pretty good laugh. With that little sled and otter behind, he looked like Santa delivering an otter sled full of goodies.....

Good times!

Tim

--------------------

James HolstAdministrator

Jay and I laughed our butts off. Of course we had to look around first to see if anyone had seen us take our spill but once we knew we managed to get by without anyone seeing our bodies tumble across the ice like rag dolls... it was good times. Nobody got hurt. Too much. I can tell you this... we were going about 45 MPH, hit that drift and popped straight up in the air. Our impact was HARD. Looking back... we're lucky we didn't get hurt seriously. As for those auger handles I can definitely see how they could shear off if they were in the bottom of the sled when it came back to earth. Jay was black and blue from his knee up to his shoulder on one side and I was actually able to get rid of a horrible crick in my upper back that I had been struggling with for weeks prior. The impact jarred some the offending vertebrae loose and put it back into place.

Again, we were very lucky.

--------------------
James Holst
---------------------

RVRAT

Yup I agree they are strong but not as strong as steel and it keeps cost down and they are lighter...Everything is going that way now a days...you ever try finding a GOOD snow shovel..they are all plastic..I had a good metal push shovel for 10 yrs...Ive been tryin to get another (for the wife ) and they are all junk...you hang up with it and crack...ohh well good luck with the auger....Jay

Bill Cadwell

Quote:

As for that type of sledding accident... I did the same thing up on LOTW last day of the GTG. Jay and I shot about 3 feet into the air and the sled kept going straight until it costed gracefully to a stop. Jay and I were not so graceful.

Do you have that on tape??? [IDO BLOOPERS???]

[couldn't resist...had to ask. ]

--------------------
bill.cadwell@in-depthoutdoors.com
Smitty's Marine Lake City Mn-Alumacraft/
St. Croix Rods/B-Fish-N Tackle/Smooth Moves Seats

Eternity - starts at John 3:16 & Romans 10: 9-13

Timmy

My buddy called the plant last night. I forget the name of the guy that helped him.

As expected - the customer service was TOP NOTCH. Free replacement of them at any dealer - plus a free tune up!

Kudos to them on that type of service! It is too bad they have so many augers out there with these handles...but it's a learning curve when trying to balance cost with weight and quality......

Tim

--------------------

Scott Steil

Quote:

My buddy called the plant last night. I forget the name of the guy that helped him.

As expected - the customer service was TOP NOTCH. Free replacement of them at any dealer - plus a free tune up!

Kudos to them on that type of service!

I had a hunch that is how it would turn out

fatcat45

Mine just tipped over and broke one side,do you have a phone number for that dealership?

James HolstAdministrator

Quote:

Mine just tipped over and broke one side,do you have a phone number for that dealership?

StrikeMaster® Ice Augers
17217 198th Avenue • Big Lake, MN 55309
Phone: 763.263.8999

--------------------
James Holst
---------------------

Joshc

Re: Strikemaster auger issue - plastic handles....

I guess it depends who you talk to at StrikeMaster. Mine tipped over and broke a couple of weeks ago and it cost me $37.50 plus shipping for a new handle.

Scott Steil

Take it into Strikemaster, worth the trip

da-z-man

My StrikeLite for some odd reason didn't have the allen wrench storage under the throttle lever. I called Strikemaster at 4 pm one day and told them about it, and at 2 pm the next had a new handle sitting in my garage- less than 24 hours later. What a great company!!

© Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.