Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK Walleye & Sauger

reverend

Ontario, Canada ice-out?????

Anybody up north worried about a real late ice-out in the Dryden to Red Lake area of Ontario? Got a trip there in late May, haven't been there in the spring in years.....starting to wonder if I should pack the auger. Somebody reassure me, PLEASE???

--------------------
"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill"

wmahnke

Re: Ontario, Canada ice-out?????

a buddys cus. was up their last week a little more north and they were still using the 16 inch extention to the auger

big G

Late May, I would say you will be fine. Early May... I wouldn't be so sure... We go up in Northern Manitoba in Mid-June, and were told one time, the ice was gone the week before

big G

--------------------
big G

You can tell how big a person is, by what it takes to discourage them! "Hooks"

reverend

Quote:

Late May, I would say you will be fine. Early May... I wouldn't be so sure... We go up in Northern Manitoba in Mid-June, and were told one time, the ice was gone the week before

big G

Thanks! I'm not TOO worried , just getting close enough to start building up that full head of "CANADACANADACANADACANADA" steam. Was a long rough winter, but caught fish pretty much all through it so I'm sure it will be fine. Worst case, it'll be a week up North and no phones and lots of trees and water....never a bad thing. Thanks!

--------------------

herky

We've been going to a large lake near Red Lake for a number of years now. In 3 of the past 8 years opening week has left us with ice on the lake for a good part of the week. The way things are looking based on how quickly (or not) the lakes are going out so far it could be very iffy for opening weekend/week!

What lake are you going to near Red Lake?

Geo

reverend

Wabaskang. Usually go in Sept. but expecting a baby in August. Just got an email from the camp owners. They arrived last Wednesday, report lots of snow and ice, but big holes in the ice on the lake. Should be able to leave the auger at home They seemed conficent about open water...Been watching the weather up there, they've had quite a bit of warmth. Cooler now, but warming back up. Whereabouts are you headed near Red Lake?

--------------------

herky

We go straight north of there to Trout Lake. The main part of the lake is large and deep and the ice goes out there much later than the more shallow parts of the lake, or the smaller lakes around it. The ice goes out from the bottom up, so lets hope for lots of sun between now and May 15th!

reverend

Wabaskang is pretty cut up...more like five smaller lakes totaling @ 15,000 acres or so. Lot's of shallows and a decent flow. Should break up as early as any. I'll breathe a little easier, but I'll still keep my fingers crossed for both of us. Hope you slaughter 'em!
Thanks for the reply, and hope your trip is great!

--------------------

hdahl

Big Trout Lake ice out on the open (May 22) will be tight. Based on the last 32 years we will be busting ice to get to the North end. Where is Mr Gore on this subject??

Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.