Welcome Guest... Login?

« BACK General Discussion Forum

BB

Garage Boat Lift????

Has anybody ever thought about using a lift like the attached or know of anybody who uses something like this to get their boat up and out of the way for a little more storage? Just curious on people’s thoughts about how feasible it really would be. (by the way this is my first time posting a link so I hope it works out)

Mohawk lifts

http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/usl6000.php

BIRDDOG

Re: Garage Boat Lift????

Not much extra storage space, looks like the lift takes up a fair amount of space itself. Stick a bunch of stuff under and around the boat, when it comes time to use it you'd have to "unpack" everything, move it around to get the boat out. Then when it comes time to move the boat back in have to move everything again...vicious cycle. I think investing in a car port would be cheaper, you can buy the sides for them as well. That or storage near by.

I don't see the lift being feasible.

I think if I needed extra storage on site I would go with one of these type otions.

carport

carport

carport

BIRDDOG

--------------------
FOR BETTER OR WORSE, FISHING AND HUNTING COME FIRST

Edited by BIRDDOG (04/28/08 01:59 PM)

BB

I see what you are saying, but I was thinking for more long term storage such as winter storage vs. during the summer when I would be using the boat. I am not worried about the summer months. I am just trying to get as much out of my garage as possible, trying not to have to put the boat in off-site storage over the winter.

Matt Grow

I have personally designed a garage lift for snowmobiles and Four Wheelers, Which are no where near production due to liability, I have thought of exactly what you are trying to due and its really not feasible unless you're looking at smaller boats under 1000 lbs. Otherwise the cost of the structure is just not a comprimise. Especially when looking at building an additional structure. But if you do need a lift to get other things out of the way,....

impalapower

If you need extra space, how about a two or four post lift, then you can park a vehicle under it.

BB

Yep, I was looking at those too. That style is probably a lot better for the storage I was thinking of, but I posted the wrong link...of course

Just wondering if anybody else had done this in their garage's before.

ROSCOE

I have been thinking about that very thing in my garage. My boat is of the smaller variety ( 80 lund fisherman) and from what i can figure would be to reinforce the rafters and install two or three electric winches and use them to lift the boat and trailer crossways in the garage. in theory it seems like a good idea
ROSCOE

p4walleye

You think that your wife would actually walk around and under that sparkle barge (somebody used that term yesterday- classic!) BB!!! Build a manshed somewhere, preferably in Lake City, or Red Wing, so I can use it whenever I feel like it.

David Scott

Hoisting anything overhead larger than a canoe or duck boat... sounds like a good way to get someone killed to me.

Considering the cost of a heavy lift, adding supprt to a building so it could support the weight...

Winter storage facilities are sounding very inexpensive.

I wouldnt want a 500# boat trailer landing on my head without the 1200# boat sitting on top of it!

© Copyright In-DepthOutdoors.com, Inc. 2001 - 2014, All Rights Reserved.